HP Deskjet F380

ianw1974

Whilst this is a problem to me, and interested in a solution - this post is more an observation and yet another thing as to why Linux is so far superior. However, if you have this printer, please post your solution on networking this!

Just bought one of these, checked it's Linux support first of course, as I wanted to network print to this. Partial support - since it's one of them combo things for scanning and copying.

Configured it in cups, and associated the relevant driver as recommended by linuxprinting.org - so effectively I'm using hplip now for extra functionality. Works a treat. Test page printed fine, and I can print perfectly well from my other Linux machine. No big deal, since it's cups.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. I cannot, and I've tried, to get my wife on Linux. Her machine has it, she refuses to use it. So I'm stuck with supporting her damn machine under Windows XP. OK, shouldn't be that bad.

We had a Canon BJC-2100 previously until it broke and wouldn't feed paper anymore. This networked fine, and I could print no problem using Windows's http printing option by providing the url http://machinename/printers/BJC-2100. So, have tried to do the same for the new printer http://machinename/printers/DJ-F380.

Adding the printer in XP, asks me for the port, I supply it. Then asks me for the driver. So I select, as I've already installed the driver for this printer from the supplied CD's. Selected it. I then wait. And wait. And wait. After about five minutes, I'm wondering what the hell is going on. I mean, it's just a printer. Why am I taking so long for it to finish installing the printer. I check Task Manager - 100% CPU utilisation. I check what process - spoolsv.exe is using 99% of resources. Kill it, the add printer dialog box now wants to continue finishing. Yet, every time I start the Print Spool service, it's 100% utilisation again.

Seems, that networking this printer in Windows isn't possible. Yet another brownie point for Linux, and a big fat zero for Windows. Incidently, trying a generic driver for this printer, like the Deskjet 520 since this is the engine the printer is based on, doesn't cut it either - same problem.

Exactly the same problem here, i have a HP PSC1410 all-in-one. All three computers with Mandriva can print and scan over the network, but my wife with here xp-computer can't. She also refuses to work with Mandriva.

I've tried for a month without any succes, so i give both up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one then. No idea why Windows is doing it, but when I was looking through the registry it seemed as if the driver was restricting to local-use only. She just plugs it to her machine when she wants to use it. I'm not fussed, I spent way too much time trying to get it to work and it just annoys me. Something so simple, and yet not so.

I think its something from HP, i also had a canon an S400 and that also worked fine over the network.

There is a programm called "ESP print pro for windows clients", http://www.easysw.com/printpro/software.php

But if i install that programm and try to find the printer i got a error: "HPPSC1410: No PPD file for printing - skipping." en "Added (0) printers successfully."

Edited by willie

Sounds like it's looking for a ppd file when adding the printer. Can get these from linuxprinting.org, but I've no idea where you'd need to place it to get this to work. Let me know if you figure it out!

I found this on internet

# How do I fix the "No PPD file for printer" error?

No PPD file for printer

This error typically occurs when the server's ServerName (by default the "hostname" value) is not configured properly or is not accessible from the Windows system. If you are not using a DNS server on your network, run the Printer Manager on your ESP Print Pro server machine, click on the server configuration icon (looks like a wrench), and change the Server Name to the IP address of the server. That will allow your Windows system to find the PPD file and add the printer successfully.