Backup your System!

Mitchell

Have you any stable way to back up your system? I've crashed mine several times trying to sort out various problems and not really knowing what I'm doing. I can't recommend Mondo highly enough. It will back up your ENTIRE system, anyway you like, so that you can restore it to a backup point on reboot. I've been backing up with this regularly. Mondo is in the package manager, though there are several dependencies (also in the package manager) that urpmi fails to install. Mondo tells you what it needs upon first run, just look at the error messages in the terminal.

I'm fairly new to Linux, and as much as I've been told to stay away from "root", it's impossible if I want to learn how to use Linux properly, and configure my system. My advice isn't to stay away from root, but to have a stable and reliable backup system in place. Mondo does this beautifully for me. I've made a "/backup" partition of 10G on my harddrive, and have Mondo create backups there as iso files, then I burn them to dvd's, or cd's, later. At some point I'm planning on buying a second hard drive (so cheap these days...will likely get something with a few hundred gig of memory.) which will be my archive and backup partition. Hope this all helps, good luck!

~Mitchell

have a look at rsnapshot which allows you to make 'snapshots' of file-systems where only changed files consume extra space (files that havent changed are simpliy hard-linked). This allows you to make very regular snapshots and easily go back to the status of yesterday, day before etc. This can be a big plus if you play around with config-files and something breaks. As long as you know when it still worked you can eassily go back. Swapping CDs or DVDs is more involved.

have a look at rsnapshot which allows you to make 'snapshots' of file-systems where only changed files consume extra space (files that havent changed are simpliy hard-linked). This allows you to make very regular snapshots and easily go back to the status of yesterday, day before etc. This can be a big plus if you play around with config-files and something breaks. As long as you know when it still worked you can eassily go back. Swapping CDs or DVDs is more involved.

Thanks for that advice, that's what I was originally looking for when I found Mondo. Am very grateful for Mondo now, but will look into this. Cheers.

I'm currently using grsync on top of rsync to synchronise my stuff from one hard disk to another. Pretty good, and faster than software raid as I had this installed before also.

• 2 months later...