Wireless internet problem [solved]

Guest Jack Shotton

Guest Jack Shotton

I'm using Mandriva 2007 Spring, and have a Ralink 802.11 bg wireless card.

I managed to install the driver and get the card working, and Mandriva finds the wireless network just fine. The signal strength is excellent.

However, when I use firefox (or epiphany) I cannot access any pages on the internet, getting a server timed out error. I have on one occasion managed to access www.google.co.uk, and search with it. However, I have not managed to access any other sites, nor have I been able to duplicate this success.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time,

Jack

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

[..]

Any ideas?

1. Are you able to send/receive data (phyically)? Please login as root in a terminal window (open it, then type "su" and your root password after being asked) and enter "net_monitor". What is the output?

2. Do you have a valid DNS (domain name server) entry? Please check and post the output of the file /etc/resolv.conf.

DNS should be OK if he can get to www.google.co.uk OK. Browsing problems are usually IPV6 related unless the driver is problematic. daniewicz mentions the first place of disabling IPV6 system-wide which practically always does the trick.

The second is disabling IPV6 inside your browser (if Firefox), so type:

about:config

in the url bar, and filter for IPV6 and then double-click it to enable the rule for disabling ipv6 in the browser.

DNS should be OK if he can get to www.google.co.uk OK. Browsing problems are usually IPV6 related unless the driver is problematic.

Hm. I took this seriously:

I have on one occasion managed to access www.google.co.uk, and search with it. However, I have not managed to access any other sites, nor have I been able to duplicate this success.

I've never stumbled over any IPV6 related browsing problem, neither on my own machines or when someone asked me. OTOH, about 50% of that kind of problems have been related to missing/badly configured DNS entries. I also cannot see why IPv6 should cause that much trouble. Can you give me an explanation?

It doesn't necessarily cause problems on every machine. I've seen IPV6 stop a network card communicate with anything across the internet. In fact, it was a Realtek 8139 network card, and it is common on these. Note, not every Realtek 8139, but quite a lot of them. I've got one of these cards at home, and I've also seen it on people posting here as well. Really, it's not just a myth!! ;)

As to why IPV6 causes so much trouble, I don't know. It just does simply on some configurations. Also, people find that their machine works perfectly fine for resolving DNS on the command line, and yet, it won't work in Firefox. Again, IPV6 the cause, why - who knows. However, it happens. You can google this, or even just search here for firefox and ipv6 together, and you'll find hundreds of posts about it. Common as hell unfortunately.

As he can access google, and search with it, then DNS is obviously working unless he used the IP address to access the website, however, it seems from his post he did actually type www.google.co.uk to get to google and search. The rest of the sites however, weren't accessible. This makes me think something else is going on, than DNS issues.

Guest Jack Shotton

OK, so I can't really post the output of net_monitor as it just opened a GUI, which showed that data was being transferred. /etc/resolve.conf says

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

nameserver 192.168.1.1

I disabled IPv6 by editing /etc/modprobe.conf, but it made no difference. I then tried adding NETWORKING_IPV6=no to /etc/sysconfig/network, which also didn't help.

However, I then disabled IPv6 in Firefox, and now Firefox works just fine. The problem is that other internet-using programs (Epiphany, the Mandriva updater, BitTorrent, GAIM) don't (Mozilla Thunderbird does, by the same method). This seems strange to me.

I only really need Firefox and Thunderbird, but it would be nice to get the internet working perfectly :)

Thanks again,

Jack

Edited by Jack Shotton

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

nameserver 192.168.1.1

Don't know about the IPv6 stuff, but the entry above would indicate in most cases that you have a router (or similar device) running on IP 192.168.1.1, which is working as DHCP server, getting your providers DNS server name/IP number automatically and working as a nameserver for your client machine. If you can affirm, everything is okay in this field. (Most routers can be configured/checked by using a web interface; just try http://192.168.1.1 in your browser.)

HTH,

scoonma

Normally with Mandriva, you just need to edit /etc/modprobe.conf and reboot:

alias net-pf-10 off

providing you have it the same as this, it should work. Otherwise, check my site for the others:

http://www.linuxsolutions.org/index.php?op...5&Itemid=26

you may have to do it at interface level, rather than in /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/sysconfig/network. Although, the /etc/modprobe.conf should work providing you rebooted.

Guest Jack Shotton

OK, so am I right in thinking that the presence of an 'inet6 addr' in the output of ifconfig means that ipv6 is enabled? If that is so, then after trying each of the suggested methods of disabling, and then rebooting, I still get an inet6 addr entry under the section of the output of ifconfig relating to my wireless card; here is an example:

rausb0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:60:A1:38:D5  
         inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         inet6 addr: fe80::210:60ff:fea1:38d5/64 Scope:Link
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:2369 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:832 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
         RX bytes:803782 (784.9 KiB)  TX bytes:204228 (199.4 KiB)

rausb0 is my wireless card.

What could I be doing wrong?

Jack

Edited by Jack Shotton

Can you post the contents of these three files:

/etc/modprobe.conf

/etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-rausb0

as I find this strange that ipv6 is enabled, yet we've supposedly disabled it.