Your command returned this:

[teager@Draco teager]$ rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
libmysql10-3.23.52-1mdk
MySQL-3.23.52-1mdk
MySQL-client-3.23.52-1mdk
[teager@Draco teager]$

Well, your mysql meets the minimum requirements for joomla:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=202651.msg951997

so presuming the rest should be OK too. Seems strange your having so many problems though. On newer versions of Mandriva, I've had no probs at all, installation was a breeze. Even on Gentoo also.

I know. I think it is because of the updates I used to get from easy-urpmi for my version. but that was last year. There was no problem with the install or the updates and getting mysql going. just that when I redid this lab box I noticed that my cd gave some issues of reading, easy-urpmi would stall or hang.

But I am really sure it has to do with the perl db::mysql module that needs to be installed. but this is only evident through webmin.

I tried to download other updated versions but they seem to hang on me or give me some kind of an error that I am missing this or that from my hardware. I do have several other distros; Ubuntu, kubuntu, slackware, redhat, pclinux, slacklinux and others that I haven't yet got in to. I tried to get Gentoo but just never got around to it. I will try and download it tomorrow and try it out on another box and see how it goes. Are the commands and such similar to mandrivia? such as with ubuntu & Ku, I need to use the command apt-get to do things and also the change of having to be able to log in as root and perform configs from a ssh connection. With these 2 distros I had to boot in recovery mode to be in as root and then even still I had to go in to the gui to config the system because I did not have my linuxconf or netconf applet in the prompt.

So working around the system I found it kind of hard at first to figure out how to go about to do what I was so used to with my mandrake.

but with mandrivia, do I still have the linuxconf and net conf modules?

I'm sure that what is in Mandriva as opposed to Mandrake is more or less the same. They are still rpm distros, and I've not seen anything I've not been able to do in Mandrake 10.1 that I can't do in Mandriva 2007.0 or anything in between. So I'd say yeah you should be OK with something newer.

As for Gentoo, the commands are different. You have use flags for enabling what you want to link in with what packages, and so on. It is good, but if you haven't used it, it will take a little time to get used to. But once you've done it, it is really nice.

nice, I will take a look in to it when I get my lab systems in production and then spend the winter learning it.

Got some good news and bad news....

bad news....Never was able to get the joomla working on the linux box so I decided to go to windows and try it from there.

bad news again... :P, after trying to install it on a windows box I came across problems again....lol...but I was able to get around it I think and I am now looking at what appears to be my brand spanking sweet looking website! Definately happy you intro'd me to this cms tool. I will spend the rest of the week reading up on it and then try to get it in production.

Thing is that I really wanted it to work on my drake box for tonz of security issues but looks good for now on my laptop so I will see about building a lil server just for the web server.

last question for now on this topic....

Is it a good idea to have joomla on a windows pc and have it direct traffic to my site on a linux box? like the way I can have multiple websites in windows on various pc?

thinking that if I don't get it working on my linux box' that I will setup my web as such.

again thnx for telling me about Joomla! :thumbs:

lol, well the mission is to have it running on a linux platform. But until I get a distro up and running properly I guess the windows will have to do for now.

I have found it amazing already the full access, control, and features this toll offers is amazing. Still getting used to alot of the references it has such as mambots and how the modules work, but just from the research I have done over the net has astonished me. Never seen anything like it except for sharepoint but, mehh not too impressed with it.

Tell me your site concept...was that based on a template? Or it was created all from scratch?

Template, I bought it from siteground services - well the template was free, you just paid for the logo stuff. Then just used the template for the site, and that's it really.