webmin and joomla

gem-in-eyez

Wanted to know if anyone has webmin and joomla working on the the same linux server with or without any errors?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

Wanted to know if anyone has webmin and joomla working on the the same linux server with or without any errors?

What do you have in mind?

Webmin is a control panel for server management (among other thing)

Joomla is a CMS for building a homepage. Joomla have some server dependencies like safe_mode OFF (as far as I remember) but this is something that you should be able to setup in the php.ini file, by using webmin.

Edited by orts

Having the two of them working together in a computer is much easier than having a graphics card and a screen working together... in the latter case there's a chance of some synergies' conflicts, in the former case there's no such chance, whatsoever.

Can you be more specific? What's the problem?

Well I had webmin installed on a drake 9.1 system. when I attempted to install joomla from the tar file by placing the extracted files in a folder in my /etc/www directory where my webserver files are placed and created a folder called joomla.

When I tried to access the page in my browser (via laptop) I still got my regular virtual dir webpage rather than the install portal for joomla.

As a result I then went to the apache directory where all the modules and apache is (httpd) and did the same thing with the same incident ocurring. After that I tried my webmin and noticed that on certain pages I was missing my modules.

I am attempting to reinstall the server again but now with version 9.2 mandrake because cd2 of man9.1 is now giving read errors once I get the system up again I will retry it but first having joomla installed and on another system having webmin installed and let you know exactly what issues I am coming across.

I was able to install the webmin again on a clean install of mandrake 9.0

now I figured out that the extracted files are to be placed in my working /html directory (due to being the document root)

I now have the install page but are missing the XML & mysql support.

I will work on getting them installed and do the install and let you know if I have solved the problem.

update:

I tried various attempts to install, update these packages using urpmi and some other commands from the forum. unfortunately when I access my joomla installation page I still get the following messages:

- XML support Unavailable

- MySQL support Unavailable

configuration.php Unwriteable

You can still continue the install as the configuration will be displayed at the end, just copy & paste this and upload.

PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`

Register Globals: ON (recommended to be off)

administrator/components/ Unwriteable

administrator/modules/ Unwriteable

administrator/templates/ Unwriteable

cache/ Unwriteable

components/ Unwriteable

images/ Unwriteable

images/banners/ Unwriteable

images/stories/ Unwriteable

language/ Unwriteable

mambots/ Unwriteable

mambots/content/ Unwriteable

mambots/editors/ Unwriteable

mambots/editors-xtd/ Unwriteable

mambots/search/ Unwriteable

mambots/system/ Unwriteable

media/ Unwriteable

modules/ Unwriteable

templates/ Unwriteable

For the unwritable I am assuming that I need to do a chroot command that sets read/write access?

Not much of a programmer savy person I am more of a tech. so at the moment when I read the joomla forums I feel at a loss with all the coding chat and solutions provided.

when I perform a "urpmi update" I get this message that contains xml.

[root@Draco html]# urpmi update
The following packages contain update: bdflush ez-ipupdate perl-XML-XUpdate-LibXML rpm etc-update ldetect-lst linuxconf kdelibs licq MandrakeUpdateRobot

Edited by gem-in-eyez

You need to fix the problems. Probably you need to install php-xml or something along those lines. The joomla website has the instructions on how to get it up and running. Also, as mysql is a big part of what goes on behind the scenes in joomla, you'll need mysql installed, and you'll also need to have php-mysql packages as well.

As for the configuration.php file, make sure you are in the directory wherever the joomla directory is you extracted and do:

chown -R apache:apache joomla

and then see if that little error goes away. If not, check the access rights, but that should do the trick from what I remember. The php setting about register_globals, you need to find the php.ini file under /etc or /etc/php or wherever it is, and then find this, and change it. Then restart apache, and try again and the little error will disappear.

Not sure why but the system seems flakey...

I do have mysql installed but I don't seem to have the my.cnf file located in the /etc directory.

seems this box is just giving me headaches...i reinstalled mandrake again and get the same message from webmin telling me that the cnf file is missing. I will try once again to do another install and if it gives me problems again I will just try another distro like ubuntu

Update:

the re-install is finished and again I get the webmin message telling me that mysql needs to be started. then when I click the option to start it I enter the module and see my 2 default DBs. but still no my.cnf file is located in my system

lower on the webmin page I see this message

Warning: The Perl module DBD::mysql is not installed on your system, so Webmin will not be able to reliably access your MySQL database.

so when i tell webmin to get it I now get this message

Failed to install module : Failed to lookup IP address for www.cpan.org

So I manually go to cpan and get the module but when I follow the instruction it errors...

C. BUILD

Go into the newly-created directory and type:

perl Makefile.PL

make

make test

D. INSTALL

While still in that directory, type:

make install

Make sure you have the appropriate permissions to install the module in your Perl 5 library directory. Often, you'll need to be root.

That's all you need to do on Unix systems with dynamic linking. Most Unix systems have dynamic linking -- if yours doesn't, or if for another reason you have a statically-linked perl, and the module requires compilation, you'll need to build a new Perl binary that includes the module. Again, you'll probably need to be root.

what occurs when I do the perl Makefile.PL is

perl Makefile.PL
$ENV{LANG} is not 'C' execing 'perl Makefile.PL' with ENV{LANG} == 'C'
You can skip this check by: 'export LANG='C' before running 'perl Makefile.PL or by upgrading your Perl'

Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 76.

Cannot find the file 'mysql_config'! Your execution PATH doesn't seem
not contain the path to mysql_config. Resorting to guessed values!
Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 466.
Failed to determine directory of mysql.h. Use

perl Makefile.PL --cflags=-I<dir>

to set this directory. For details see the INSTALL.html file,
section "C Compiler flags" or type

perl Makefile.PL --help

which is all jargon to me :huh:

Edited by gem-in-eyez

:wall: Edited by gem-in-eyez

aside from the mysql-support unavailable & configuration.php unwriteable message. I manually did a chmod to each individual directory to allow joomla write permissions for now. seems to be fine all green for each.

All that is left is to figure out how to get the mysql support available & I did a chmod to the file configuration.php-dist that was in the directory. not sure if I had to have it name specific as "configuration.php" but I did perform a backup of the file either way.

so I had 2 files to see if joomla would accept. neither worked.

when I put write permission on them (tried 1 before the other of course...) I received this error for the "configuration.php"file.

Fatal error: Failed opening required '/path/to/joomla/install/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php/:/usr/lib/php/pear/') in /var/www/html/includes/joomla.php on line 71

I would like to proceed with the install but I was wondering what directories I should back up first?

I did a backup of /etc & /var, but is that all?

The install page says:

- MySQL support Unavailable

configuration.php Unwriteable

You can still continue the install as the configuration will be displayed at the end, just copy & paste this and upload. So I just want to make sure I have a good system backup if I cause any problems.

Edited by gem-in-eyez

Check to see if the php mysql packages are available from urpmi:

urpmf --name mysql

or:

urpmf --name php | grep -i mysql

and see if the module you need is there. I've had this working on Mandriva 2007.0, so it should work perfectly fine without having to manually download anything, as it was all available in urpmi.

K, I will give that command a try cause I have been using urpmi and it tells me that the everything is installed, which it is I just need to have a my.cnf file in the /etc and another file that I was able to get from the net but I'm having a trouble recalling from where. It is the small-??.cnf, medium-??.cnf or large??.cnf file.

also when I am in the webmin interface it tells me that I need a DBD::myslq perl module that I can download never wants to install without the errors I get that are posted in the previous conversations.

But I will try the command you are giving me and see what happens.

then proceed to install and see if does give me the coding for manually creating the configuration.php file that it states it will do.

What about the backup of the directory? Is the /etc and /var directories good enough?

You can see if the mysql config file is in another directory within /etc:

find /etc -name *cnf*

and see what it lists back. Maybe something like /etc/mysql or something else maybe.

The 2 commands came back with these responses:

[teager@Draco teager]$ urpmf --name mysql
libmysql10:name:libmysql10-3.23.52-1mdk.i586
libmysql10-devel:name:libmysql10-devel-3.23.52-1mdk.i586
php-mysql:name:php-mysql-4.2.3-1mdk.i586

[teager@Draco teager]$ urpmf --name php | grep -i mysql
php-mysql:name:php-mysql-4.2.3-1mdk.i586
[teager@Draco teager]$

the find command did not appear to work but I tried the locate *.cnf and it found some .cnf that I was looking for thamks...I had forgot about the * switch!

locate *.cnf

/usr/share/doc/MySQL-3.23.52/my-large.cnf

/usr/share/doc/MySQL-3.23.52/my-huge.cnf

/usr/share/doc/MySQL-3.23.52/my-medium.cnf

/usr/share/doc/MySQL-3.23.52/my-small.cnf

/usr/share/mysql/my-huge.cnf

/usr/share/mysql/my-large.cnf

/usr/share/mysql/my-medium.cnf

/usr/share/mysql/my-small.cnf

/usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf

/downs/webmin-1.360/acl/openssl.cnf

/webmin/acl/openssl.cnf

so atleast I have my-small.cnf file... do you have a my.cnf file that I can take and add to my drake system and then use webmin to modify? Found 1 online but it does not seem to fix my issue.

I will give it a try when I get home from work.

Just to let you and anyone else reading this that I am running an old mandrake 9.0 system.

I have tried to down the newer verions but seem to get corrupted iso's or failed installs due to various errors when the software tried to detect my system. Eventually when i get all these installs working and configured properly I will re-install on a compaq ml370 raid server.

for the perl DBD::Mysql package. I did a serach for an rpm of the file and found that many ppl have been having issues with this. Irony is that when I decided to install mysql with the mandrake 9.0 only this time for this year, have I had issues. Last year when I started out with it on this forum I never had an issue with it... can someone explain to me why? could it be when I use the easy-urpmi the support is provided no longer has this package available? I am just throwing this out there... but I do find it bizarre that I now have this issue with msql when all I had in the past was the my-small, etc.... *.cnf files which were stored elsewhere in my system.

Edited by gem-in-eyez