Creating MCNLive cd

bookie

Well, I am here now chris:b. I hope you don't mind me adding the questions here as already discussed

Need a few answers to questions concerning creating a MCNLive cd.

If I run a few things by you, you can tell me yes or know?

Do I understand you correctly that to make this live cd I should do a normal install of powerpack+ but without adding updates or a home partition?

I have already burned MCN live Toronto.iso onto a cd. How do I transfer the files from the cd to the computer exchanging them with the ones you mentioned?

When you boot the MCN live Toronto.iso you are given a few choices as to how you would like to proceed. For the ease of exchanging files - would it be best to install the cd on the hard drive?

Creating a live cd/dvd is an interesting idea. Many of the distros have that choice now, so it would be nice to create one of powerpack.

bokie

Edited by bookie

With MCNLive you basically have two choices to build your own live system --> a new live iso file.

1. You don't install anything to your harddisk. We call it: remaster-on-the fly. You just start MCNLive, now you are running a live system in RAM. You can work on this system the same way as on an installed system. You can change settings, look&feel, you can install programs (with rpmdrake, MCC), you can uninstall programs etc. Watch out that you need enough RAM to do this. So, you better start with small additions.

When you are done, you start a small graphical wizard, answer some questions, and it will build a new iso image of your 'running' system.

The result is a stored iso file on your internal harddisk, that you can burn. You have your own live iso now.

The computer needs enough RAM (at least 512 MB) and a HD with either an NTFS partition or an ext3 linux partition, to store the file.

You can find a howto on the running MCNLive when you open a browser.

2. You can install MCNLive on your harddisk (on one / partition, and use a swap), boot the system, make all changes you want, and you run a command in a terminal to build your own live iso.

More info here:

www.mcnlive.org/howto_en.htm.

And in the howto pages on MCNLive.

And here a screenshot:

www.mcnlive.org/delft/delft6.jpg.

And the homepage of MCNLive:

www.mcnlive.org/index.html.

Hi again, I wish you had answered my questions because I feel that there are unanswered ones:

1. Do I install powerpack+ 2007.1 onto my computer without a home partition?

2. Do I need to create a partition for MCNLive cd?

3.Does it affect the proceedings if I update my powerpack+ first.

4. Powerpack+ is on two dvd's. How will that be affected? Can I install the second cd. so that it becomes part of the live cd, or will the links included in the original dvd's be included?

Sorry to be a pain, I'm a black and white kind of guy with a limited brain capacity Ha, Ha. Looking at my post - I had forgotten on the second post to add the above info, so for that I apologize.

bookie

Edited by bookie

bookie, MCNLive has nothing to do with Powerpack.

With MCNLive you don't install anything on your computer. Just leave your computer as it is.

MCNLive is a live system. You run it LIVE. Just boot it with the CD. And get familiar with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, after working with MCNLivecd for a few days I think it has great potential. I am still learning basic commands - which depress the hell out of me at times - but you have to keep trying and trying to at last you see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would like to know how to write the command to write an iso image - making sure it is created on a certain partition in a certain file etc.

If I give a scenario, perhaps someone could give me the commands? I have created a special partition to save the most recent iso images in case of crashes. This partition is sdb7 and is called /me1. Not very original but it serves a purpose. If I am to give the command as root to make my iso, what would be the appropriate commands with the above info?

Also, I am wondering if there is a way to search for previously created iso's that one hasn't been able to locate because of not giving the right pointers!!

bookie

Hi again, well, I mean to say that I have transferred all the necessary files from MCNLive Toronto to my hard drive. I created a partition to save my iso's on, so that if the computer crashes I still have them. The partition is sdb7 and I gave it the mount name of /me1. My mum calls me her number 1 son, so I thought it appropriate to call myself /me1

The command for building the iso was #mklivecd --verbose mydate.iso: I put in the date of creating the iso for ease of reference. This was something mindwave gave me a tip about.

The thing I forgot to do was point the iso image to a certain folder.

bookie

Okay.

1. You don't work with MCNLive with a base, but with a normal Mandriva installation.

That means that you are trying to build a Live CD from scratch.

You need to be a very experienced Linux and Mandriva user, or a genius, or you don't mind frustration ... :D

2. If /me1 is a mount point, you won't have much luck. You don't mount partitions this way. The standard mount point should be somewhere under /mnt, for example: /mnt/me1

--> Umount this partition. Edit fstab to not use this mountpoint. Remove the directory /me1. Create a new mountpoint /mnt/blahblah, mount the partiton there.

If you go on using /me1 and you run mklivecd, the command will end up in a loop, you won't succeed to build a live iso.

3. When using a correct mount point, for example /mnt/me1, then the command for building and placing the final iso there would be:

mklivecd --verbose /mnt/me1/myown.iso

I would strongly advise that you take your time and get familiar with a standard Linux system, in particular with how Mandriva Linux works, and with the command line - to avoid too much frustration.

Also, I would like to ask you that you give EXACT informations when you are asking questions.

PS: the name of your topic is very misleading. Because you don't work with MCNLive, and you don't try to create a MCLive CD.

Edited by chris:b

OK now I am outta here as you put it!!!

So as to not cause confusion, I have added my fstab read out.

[root@ROCKY bookie]# cat /etc/fstab

/dev/sdb1 / ext2 defaults 1 1

/dev/sdb6 /annamar ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/sdb7 /me1 ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=utf8,sync 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

/dev/sda6 /mnt/win_e ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

What is wrong with my /me1?

Edited by bookie

Read my answer above, and you know what is wrong.

/dev/sdb6 /annamar ext3 defaults 1 2

is wrong as well. Wrong if you want to build a live cd from this running system. And wrong because you mount partitions in Linux under /mnt/something.

Edited by chris:b

We really don't seem to understand one another? I am sorry that I don't seem to speak your language? Please don't take offense that isn't what I mean.

Ok I will start again. When I create my livecd it will not include any of my hard drives apart from sdb1 the other hard drives I intend to unmount before I execute the mklivecd command.

The only thing I was trying to do was point my install to somewhere where I can find it? Maybe the iso automatically ends up in HOME. That is what I am asking you. If I included the other hard drives my live cd/dvd would be to big and run into problems that you explained.

I only want a livecd of Mandriva not any thing else. I was merely trying to ask you if I could say where my iso image can end up after creation?

If you have some suggestions, I am all ears. It could be that I am not grasping what your saying, or maybe it is vise versa?

What about me just unmounting all the other hard drives apart from sdb1 and creating the iso in home. Forgive me if I seem dense, but I was under the impression that when you run: mklivecd --verbose mydate.iso that it is of the main partition sdb1 if the others are unmounted?

bookie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.