Default media player in Firefox [solved]

CarlJF

I have a problem since I upgraded to 2007 spring. In Firefox, when I click an audio link, it openend it with Rythmbox, which cause some problems... It just not working with internet radio. Before that, things were pening with Beep and worked just fine. Is there any way to change the default application from rhythmbox to anything else ??? :wall:

Thanks!

It maybe me that miss something, but in Firefox (2.0.0.4), in the menu you specified, you cannot add new file type. The only options you have is to remove or modify existing ones and the only two that appears are for zip and torrent files.

I've tried to remove Rhytmbox, but that only make Firefox open the radio stream in Audacious, which is even worse before.

• 2 weeks later...
What if you change the value of browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions from true to false using about:config

Thanks!

With that, I'm able to modify the existing extensions and made the stream plays in a compatible player. Everything is fine with that now! :D :thumbs:

However, I'm still wondering how I can add new extensions in the list. Since there's no "add" button. Any idea ? For example, if I try to look at this news footage video, the only thing I see is that I should install a plugin to see it. I'm pretty sure that mplayer could do the trick. If I click on "Download plugin", a window open telling me that no plugin is found with a button to manually install a plugin. And clicking on this "manual install" button gets me to a Microsoft page! :wall: :unsure: No very helpful under linux! There's certainly a way to link this file type (application/x-mplayer2) or extension to mplayer, but this option just seems to be hidden somewhere in Firefox. Any idea on how to add the file type above in the list ?