Cross-platform multi os network on 2 machines

DaveinSpain

I have an Intel core duo machine with Mandriva Linux 2007.1 installed with Windows Vista Home Premium, connected via a switchbox to an Intel Pentium 3 machine running Windows ME and Mandriva Linux 2007.1 The switchbox is necessary to connect both machines to the Internet via a DHCP Telephony modem and microwave link to my ISP (this is necessary as my locatiion in Spain is very remote and there is no chance of a hardwired landline in the forseeable future). Both machines in both operating systems are configured for 2 users plus a guest login and both Mandriva setups and the Windows Vista setup also has a superuser (Root or Administrator) setup. The Windows ME system does not appear to allow this.

I want to be able to configure both machines to be able to access both the remote linux "Documents" and the Windows "My Documents" folder file for the logged-in user as well as the Windows ME/Linux setup accessing the printer attached to the core duo machine and the core duo machine windows/linux setup being able to access the fax/modem installed in the Pentium3 machine. (I could move this modem to the core duo machine but it would invalidate my 2-year warranty).

In short, I would like to be able to read all documents from both machines in Linux and either version of windoes, as well as access specific hardware resurces on each.

So far I have only been able to configure the Core Duo machine to access the Windows ME My Documents folder. Every attempt to read from the other machine results in a password request (Windows ME) for a password that I know I have never entered, or Do not have permission error message from Linux. I am getting nowhere with peripherals sharing. Can anybody help? (PS I managed to corrupt one of my fstab files using the Samba mount points option in Mandriva Control Center and needed to use a liveCD version to recover the system and reinstall a backup.

:wall:

Help please!

Edited by DaveinSpain

To share the modem connection you should be able to use Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Me (this is without a doubt the worst Windows ever, but the sharing does work). Do you want to share the modem while booted into Linux on that box too? Do you have to have Me on that machine?

As for sharing the documents folders there are many options to explore - but what have you tried so far? A little more information on how far you have gotten will help :) Do you have a router or just a switch? Do you want to share the documents of both users in all four operating systems installations? Or create a central document store somewhere?