madwifi install problems - please help

Guest draker

Guest draker

tried to install madwifi via software config and and from

madwifi home page.

through software config i get errors liken to files cannot be found.

so i downloaded the madwifi file via the home page. sent the make

command and this is the error m getting (below dotted line)

i have never seen this error before so im quite stumbled by it

i have been with mandriva for a long time but this error is really

bugging me.

can anyone shed some light on how to get my wireless working proper ?

thanks in advance

draker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost madwifi]# make

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/build: No such file or directory

Makefile.inc:66: *** /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Welcome to the board draker!

Mandriva ought to include madwifi, but if it doesnt, you can install it with dkms. I don't know the exact command, but im sure someone will come here soon and show you.

There's no need for ndiswrapper here, as madwifi is an excellent and stable driver, so hopefully nobody suggests that.

James

Guest draker

thanks james

its real strange though, im my limited lnowledge about linux i would guess to say that

madwifi is looking for the kernal modules to be at a certain location or the kernal

should of been complide and or linked. (im guessing) to some modules.

i ghosted my system and done another reinstall of mdriva 2007ppc then a full update and

im still getting the same error i also tried again in the soft. management but mdriva

just cant find the files.

i just hope that i dont have to recompile the kernal. just the thought of attempting to do it

sends shivers down my spine.

just to let you know my setup is default out the box mandriva 2007 ppc with latest update.

thanks again

D

Edited by draker

Welcome to the board draker!

Warm welcome from me as well. :D

Mandriva ought to include madwifi, but if it doesnt, you can install it with dkms.

James

I totally agree! My only connection (from my PC) to outside world is through my atheros chipset wireless card. Whenever I install Mandriva totally anew (not updating), I have to go and get Madwifi w/ Win---s XP (this is a family show - cannot use foul language).

The thing is: MDV should include most everything needed for an internet connection in the packages. I cannot go online as I don't have madwifi drivers. Then again, I cannot get the madwifi drivers because I cannot go online... Catch 22... [sigh...]

Otherwise I find that Madwifi is working great with my wireless card and I can recommend it. A word of warning though; I've had my share of problems with it (mostly due to me beeing very new to Linux) and you can read all about it from this forum. But lately, I've been able to install it without problems. :thumbs:

I've never come across this error (not that I remember anyway) and cannot assist you there, but I'm sure people in this board will be able to help you.

Guest draker

dude67, hey

ok, ok im before i forget my manners let me say its always nice

to be here and i want to thank you guys for the welcome.

i do feel that im part of the community although i spend most of my

online time here reading and learning.

so now that im talking i might as well try to help others too.

and as for the linux guru i hope that he/she can see this post.

thanks

D

The free versions of mandriva do not include the madwifi drivers because they are not free software. Only GPLed free software is included in the free versions of mandriva. The power pack versions do include non-free, proprietary drivers like madwifi, however.

Draker, have you set up your urpmi sources using the Easy-Urpmi link at the top of the page? The madwifi driver may be in one of the non-free repos from plf or perhaps in contrib. If not, you will have to compile the driver from source which is what you apparently tried to do. The error message you are getting is because you don't have the kernel headers installed for your kernel.

I would recommend setting up your urpmi sources first and see if there is a precompiled rpm avilable in one of the repos for the madwifi driver. If not, we can get into installing the correct kernel headers and compiling the madwifi kernel module from source.

Edited by pmpatrick

• 4 months later...
The free versions of mandriva do not include the madwifi drivers because they are not free software... The power pack versions do include non-free, proprietary drivers like madwifi, however.

I would recommend setting up your urpmi sources first and see if there is a precompiled rpm avilable in one of the repos for the madwifi driver.

I'm not able to install/configure my Atheros-based NIC on either of the two versions of Mandriva Power Pack that I use - 2007.0 or 2008.0: When I attempt to add/configure the Proxim 8480-FC PCMCIA card (a.k.a. Orinoco 11a/b/g Combo Card Gold)...

[epretorious@on-the-go ~]$ lspci | grep Atheros
0c:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)

Mandriva Control Center attempts to add the required packages from the installation media but complains:

Could not install packages (madwifi-kernel-2.6.22.9-laptop-1-mdv, dkms-madwifi, madwifi-kernel-2.6.22.12-laptop-1mdv)!

FWIW: I have both the 2.6.22.9 & the 2.6.22.12 kernel packages installed but am running the 2.6.9.12 laptop kernel:

[epretorious@on-the-go ~]$ uname -r
2.6.22.12-laptop-1mdv

[epretorious@on-the-go ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-laptop
kernel-laptop-2.6.22.9-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-laptop-2.6.22.12-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-laptop-latest-2.6.22.12-1mdv2008.0
madwifi-kernel-laptop-latest-0.9.3.2-1.20071121.3mdv2008.0
kernel-laptop-devel-2.6.22.9-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
fglrx-kernel-laptop-latest-8.40.4-1.20071121.7mdv2008.0

What am I doing wrong? :huh:

Never mind - Despite MCC's complaints, the modules actually were installed and the interface has been activated:

[epretorious@on-the-go ~]$ sudo urpmi madwifi-kernel-2.6.22.12-laptop-1mdv
Package madwifi-kernel-2.6.22.12-laptop-1mdv-0.9.3.2-3mdv2008.0.i586 is already installed

[epretorious@on-the-go ~]$ /sbin/iwconfig 
lo		no wireless extensions.

eth0	  no wireless extensions.

eth1	  IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"vmair"  Nickname:"on-the-go"
	  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:0B:0E:46:6C:80   
	  Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0  
	  Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
	  Power Management:off
	  Link Quality=97/100  Signal level=-27 dBm  Noise level=-88 dBm
	  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
	  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:1   Missed beacon:10

wifi0	 no wireless extensions.

ath0	  IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
	  Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated   
	  Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:0 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1  
	  Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
	  Power Management:off
	  Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=0 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
	  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
	  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

What happened? :huh:

The way to do this, i found, is you have to go to the mandriva control center, click on manage software, expand the Development menu, click on kernel, scroll down till you find kernel-source-(something).mdv and install it. I had the same problem but thats what i did and everything works.

Failing that, though, www.rpmseek.com will let you search for a madwifi RPM, which is a heck of alot easier :]