Maple 8 installation problem

When I run installer I get following error:

dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
rm: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have glibc-2.4 and it's devel installed (offcourse).

Can someone help me, please?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I've managed to install it (using various tricks) but when I try to run it I get following error:

/usr/bin/maple8/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mserver: relocation error: /usr/bin/maple8/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/libmaple.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

And when I run the binary, directly, I get this:

./cmaple: error while loading shared libraries: libmclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The libmclient.so is in the same directory as cmaple. Maybe I should create link in the shared libraries folder to the libmclient.so?

Edited by Demon

Damn, it just wont work! I get this error now:

./mserver: relocation error: /usr/lib/libmaple.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

C'mon, people, you are smarter than me, you'll know what to do... I need this program! (Or else... Nah, I will never return to Windows...)

I solved this by adding:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

in the run script. But (why, oh why there's always the damned "BUT"?!?!?!) I get another error:

/usr/bin/maple8/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/cmaple: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've tried creating symlinks (named "libm.so.6") to the /lib/i686/libm-2.4.so in the /usr/lib and in the /usr/bin/maple8/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/ directories, but no success.

H E L P !!!

Edited by Demon

mserver binary is crucial here.

When I run it directly (./mserver) I get this error:

./mserver: relocation error: /usr/lib/libmaple.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

And when I do "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" and then run mserver, I get this:

./mserver: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Was this helpful? Am I talking to myself here?!

There's a thread Maple HOWTO on Ubuntu forums, but wasn't helpful for me at all...

Looks like it`s already installed under /lib/ try linking it to /usr/lib

If you have broadband use hdlist.cz. That contains a lot more information about packages e.g. what files are in the packages. But it's also a way more bigger. Currently you seem to use the compressed index files (synthesis.hdlist.cz) which only contains the package name and a description of the package so you cant search for a file in a package with urpmf or the package manager.

Looks like it`s already installed under /lib/ try linking it to /usr/lib

Tried already, no good.

If you have broadband use hdlist.cz. That contains a lot more information about packages e.g. what files are in the packages. But it's also a way more bigger. Currently you seem to use the compressed index files (synthesis.hdlist.cz) which only contains the package name and a description of the package so you cant search for a file in a package with urpmf or the package manager.

I'm a well aware of that, but I can't use hdlist 'cause I'm saving my bandwidth (it's limited to GB per month).

Thanks anyway.

The problem is in mserver, like I said here. The mserver binary is compiled with an old libc version, but when I export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 I get another error. And I'm stuck here.

The newest version of Maple probably doesn't have all these problems, unfortunately, I don't have money for a new licence.

I think I've found something here:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/11250.html

what might help me.

Without having access to the 'old' binary that you are trying to use, this does indeed look like the best solution.

If you have the retail version of this, you should have (or have access to), the windows version? It may be easier to run the windows version with wine?

This is just a thought, but have you looked at opensource alternatives?

open source graphics utilities

koctive

mathstudio and links to other math-related sites

The issue here is that mandriva comes with newer versions of a range of libraries, including GLIBC.

Maple is linked against older versions, intended to be installed on distros with those versions. It's probably got a list of "supported" distros, like RHEL, SuSE, and others. Maple's primary audience is more likely to use these stable "production" distros.

Symlinking will not work (except in the most simple of cases, this does not include glibc). Do not install an old glibc over your current one, it'll effectively break your system.

If you want it working on mandriva, either:

- find a statically compiled version of maple or one that includes the libs

- get a newer version, if one exists.

- install compatibility libs. thats what the novell solution details to an extent.

Before you do any of that, remove the symlinks, they'll just get in the way.

James