EVE-Online on Linux/OS X

Artificial Intelligence

Good news for Linux and OS X users:

With help from Transgaming Technology, that's behind Cedega (Linux) and Cider (OS X), CCP will offer binary packages from EVE-Online site at no extra cost.

This have been confirmed by CCP Explorer (Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson) and CCP Lingorm in the EVE Technology Lab forum. See correspondence in the following post.

Formerly Linux and OS X users had to use Cedega/Cider to run EVE-Online for a $5 fee but this will not be the case anymore.

I've split this correspondence from AI's original post as it was too big for the portal page. :)

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.as...5&page=3#73

I've read all the links in the responses you've posted and based on the material already out there from our marketing department I can evidently be less vague than in my first post.

First of all, we have no plans to release a native client for Linux or Mac OS X, but that specific question is the topic of this thread. All the articles that use the word native are wrong.

The articles that don't use that word are right. We are actively working with TransGaming Technologies on providing EVE clients for the Cider and Cedega platforms in a forthcoming release, hence my (vague) comment earlier that we are committed to enhance our support for API wrappers.

I'm not committing to a specific release date, let it suffice to say that I don't intend this project to linger around any longer at this point than is necessary for QA purposes.

We are planning to officially support Tiger, Leopard, Ubuntu and openSUSE.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson

Software Director

EVE Online, CCP Games

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.as...5&page=4#93

Originally by: Kadesh Priestess: Simple question. Will you compile eve against cedegalibs, or we'll have to subscribe to it and you'll just improve game compatibility?

We will deliver the same binaries on all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) and work on compatibility. TransGaming will then create special installers for Linux and Mac OS X as well as platform specific patches/updates. Don't know how the financial aspect or subscription details will be handled (but that will become clear when we release, not my department though).

Originally by: Gord Ackfordham: what are the chances of you guys helping out the wine team?

We are committed to enhance our support for API wrappers through our work with TransGaming.

Originally by: Kadesh Priestess: But it's rather clear why ccp decided to work with them - it's much more easy to ask guys from transgaming to do sth than to do sth themselves in wine or wait when wine dev team will make suitable changes.

Exactly, we needed somebody with expertise in this field that could provide the framework, do QA, create installers and patches, provide tech support and be contractually obligated to fix broken things within in a certain time frame. In addition TransGaming focuses on gaming so they fit the requirements nicely.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson

Software Director

EVE Online, CCP Games

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.as...&page=4#111

Just a clarification on the 'paying extra' for EVE on Cedega.

You will pay the same price for EVE on Linux/Mac as you pay for EVE on Windows. Same Monthly subscription fees. The Cedega/Cider builds that back the EVE release will be locked to those products.

Repeat. You will only be paying the same monthly fee for EVE on the new platforms. No extra fees will be charged for running on these platform.

CCP Lingorm

CCP Quality Assurance

QA Engineering Team Leader

Just a little warning, Soulse. Eve-Online is hardcore PvP MMO.

If you decide to play it contact me ingame to "Lord Thalic" if your character is Amarr or Caldari and I can make sure you to join a good corp (VEYR80 members) and we're in Fallen Souls Alliance (1700 members). We own some of the northen space, were we build stations, defense towers etc.

We use Team Speak which is also available on Linux.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Just a little warning, Soulse. Eve-Online is hardcore PvP MMO.

If you decide to play it contact me ingame to "Lord Thalic" if your character is Amarr or Caldari and I can make sure you to join a good corp (VEYR80 members) and we're in Fallen Souls Alliance (1700 members). We own some of the northen space, were we build stations, defense towers etc.

We use Team Speak which is also available on Linux.

Don't worry, I know exactly what EVE is. I have friends playing it and I've seen it plenty. I'm more interested in just seeing what it's like for myself. ;)