Change Root and User Passwords

busted

Could someone tell me if it is possible to change my Root and User passwords please. As i have just found out that a member of my family has been using my computer without my permission. Thanks

Assuming you are using Mandriva 2007.1, for the regular users::

1. Go to Applications -> System -> Configure your computer. This will open the MCC - Mandriva Control Center.
  2. Type the current root's password when asked.
  3. Click the System Tab.
  4. Scroll down if necessary, and choose "Add, Remove or Change users of the system"
  5. Right-click the user you which to modify and choose "Edit". If you want to delete you have a "Delete" button on the upper ruler in the window.

For the root (which I think you can't delete, only change the password), I believe you can only do that from a console. I don't know exactly how, you'll have to wait for one of the experts.

hi,

open a command terminal and change to root using "su -". enter the password for root. after that you can execute the "passwd" command to change the password of the root user. then after that you can use "passwd <username>" as the root user to change the <username> password. alternately you can just login as the <username>, open a terminal and then invoke the "passwd" command.

more information can be gleaned from the passwd man page (from a terminal invoke "man passwd").

ciao!

... because i left the information on my desk ...
That is never a good thing to do. What you should do at least is place the information in a subfolder with more restrictive permission settings, that means: make sure that the only person that is allowed to access the folder is you and your user group. You can set the permission settings in Gnome and KDE with just a few clicks so that everyone else is denied to even open the folder.