Failed software install

busted

Have been trying and failing to install the latest version of Skype. Whenever i double click on the Skype rpm file and then click on install i am informed that:

Some requested packages cannot be installed:

skype-1.4.0.99-mdv.i586 (due to unsatisfied

libQtDBus.so.4) continue installation anyway.

Hope someone can help me find a way around this problem. Thanks in advance

Quite simple really. Download the package that has the libqtdbus.so.

To find it, google for that name.

It will suggest RPM-Find as the site. Select the rpm and install it then install the skype rpm. Done.

I just did it myself a couple of minutes ago so I know it is there.

If it comes up again with another dependency message then do the same procedure again for the new dependency.

Cheers. John.

Have found RPM Search no problem but can't figure out which file to download.

None, of course.

Never use binaries from rpmfind/search, you are effectively losing your time. Always use packages from the distribution repos.

Did you read the newest skype dependencies from skype site?

* Qt 4.2.1+

* D-Bus 1.0.0

* libsigc++ 2.0.2

* libasound2 1.0.12

(or newer versions)

This should all exist in the regular Mandriva repos. Install them all first, and only then skype.

Have found RPM Search no problem but can't figure out which file to download.

I'm guessing you're using Mandriva, but what version? If you're using 2007.1 it should be available with urpmi, if not, then you will have to use another rpm, from another source. So what version?

An ignorant spin-off question, if I may: actually, why isn't Skype itself in the repos? I know there are proprietary issues, but I believe there are also repos for proprietary stuff (drivers and software), and Skype is a free software. Besides, I believe I saw distros that come with Skype. Isn't it possible to get to some kind of agreement with Skype? It is a very popular application.

An ignorant spin-off question, if I may: actually, why isn't Skype itself in the repos? I know there are proprietary issues, but I believe there are also repos for proprietary stuff (drivers and software), and Skype is a free software. Besides, I believe I saw distros that come with Skype. Isn't it possible to get to some kind of agreement with Skype? It is a very popular application.

You say it: It is proprietary, not community driven. Thus it is not completely free as in beer and there could arise legal problems if it gets shipped with a distro for free. I did some research but haven't found any distro that has skype on the software mirrors available except Linspire, but there you have to pay for it, using click'n run. Furthermore, there are really free alternatives for phoning over the internet, like ekiga.

I did some research but haven't found any distro that has skype on the software mirrors available except Linspire, but there you have to pay for it, using click'n run.

I just have to do "pacman -Sy skype" on my Arch Linux, and there's also a 64-bit version of it. Both are on the official Community repo.

Of course the Arch Linux package policy is very liberal- several packages could be removed from the official repos if there's some formal complaint for their inclusion, and skype is certainly one of them.

Skype is also included in some other distro repos- mainly ones of smaller distributions.

Have found RPM Search no problem but can't figure out which file to download. Help anyone please! Cheers

What you're actually looking for is the output of the command: "urpmf libQtDBus.so.4" (as root), which results in the package name containing that file (at the beginning of the line). Just urpmi that package and ready to go! :-)

I am new to mandriva linux, but is there any yum alternative here?

yum is great tool.

Quite a few: urpm, smart, and (this one unoficially) apt/synaptic. All of them are much faster (if not better) than yum, as far as I'm concerned.

Just make your choice.

Edited by scarecrow

Furthermore, there are really free alternatives for phoning over the internet, like ekiga.

ekiga has only one disadvantage: you can't contact skype users with it (AFAIK), and in these kind of applications, the popularity is sometimes more important than the quality of the software.