Printer problem

busted

I have just purchased an HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One printer, copier, scanner and set it up to my computer which is running Mandriva Spring "Free". I connect to the internet via a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router but for some reason it will not print out anything. Would appreciate any and all help and advice. Big thanks

Hi SoulSe

To be honest with you i am a Linux n00b and although i use a NETGEAR DG834G Modem/Router to get online i have connected the Photosmart C4180 All-in-One to my computer. I didn't even know about using a Linux driver from HP or even how to install one if i did. Could i connect the printer to the ModemRouter via another Ethernet cable? Any help and advice would be really appreciated. Big thanks

If the device has an Ethernet port and HP's print server on board (sorry, don't have time to look it up right now) then you can plug the printer straight into the router and access it via the network, which is the best route to go.

Otherwise, HP does have a driver for the printer for Linux, which you will need irrespective of how the printer is connected. Using the official driver will yield the best results. There are also instructions on the HP site for installing the driver. So step 1 is head over to www.hp.com and look up your printer ;)

How is the printer connected? Directly to the PC via USB? I have a Netgear DG834GT router which is more or less the same as yours, so I doubt you'll be able to connect it directly to the router unless the printer has a network card inside it and an IP address configured.

When the printer is connected to the computer and i start it up i get the following message;

Please insert the medium named "installation i586 CD 1" on device [/dev/hdc]

I have been looking for a driver and have found "hplip-2.7.7.run". So could someone tell this old n00b how i can install the driver please. Thanks for all help and advice.

When the printer is connected to the computer and i start it up i get the following message;

Please insert the medium named "installation i586 CD 1" on device [/dev/hdc]

Have you tried inserting the CD or DVD that you have installed your system with?

hplip is on your installation CD and or DVD