How to install Debian packages in mandriva

Guest Jean-Paul

Guest Jean-Paul

I'm somewhat new to debian. It's seems that they a large collections of softwares. Can anyone please let know if it's possible to install .deb packages in mandriva. For some reason i tought that i have seen some where a package called " kdebian " , to install .deb packages for non-debian systems.

thank you

You don't need to install deb packages in Mandriva. Mandriva uses RPM packages and includes a powerful package manager called urpmi. urpmi can be accessed from the Mandriva Control Centre or from the command line. If you look around these forums and use google, you will find tons of information on how to use it.

In the Mandriva repositories you will find a plethora of available rpm packages and just about any open source linux software you want will be in them. There is really no reason to use debs.

But before you can make full use of urpmi, you must configure your repositories. The easiest way to do this is by using our Easy Urpmi facility.

And of course, if you can't figure it out we are here to help :)

Welcome to the board!

I'm behind soulse on this one. Mandriva has a hell of a lot of packages, so you don't need to use any from Debian. It's not usually recommended to use packages from other versions of Linux. You can just about get away with mixing rpm's on your system, but you'll end up getting into a dependency nightmare at some point, so I would never recommend it. I've never even done it myself, even knowing that I could.

Using Debian ones is going one step further. First, there not even rpm packages, so it'd probably only make things a lot worse. Use the packages that are available for the Linux system you are using, so, in this case - the Mandriva packages that are available.

And another hearty welcome to the board :beer:

• 3 years later...

I have only a .deb for the printer support of my canon mp560. I've used alien to convert to rpm. the common part installs, the specific part requires something like libtiff, which I can not

find in the mandriva repositories I get with Spring 2010 one-gnome.

What do I do ?

• 1 year later...
Guest bjorheimen

I am also wondering about this, as Spotify have released a spotify version for debian now, but I'm unsure how to get it.

Is it a lost cause, or can I compile it so that I can install it on mandriva?

(Sorry, I'm still quite new to mandriva, been mainstreaming with windows for a while, and before that I just had a breif encounter with ubuntu, so count me clueless)