Mandriva Linux 2008 Beta 1 available!

dexter11

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 5 problems with beta2.

Mouse Left thumb button does not work. Works perfectly on Spring with no settings tweaking necessary.

No sound. No sound output at all from XMMS or any sound application. All normal in Spring.

Scanner (firewire) not detected.......full stop. Works without any setup tweaking at all in Spring.

Ksensors doesnt work at all. AOK in Spring.

It installs OK but does not set a Home or Devices icons on the Desktop when completed and logged in.

I tried all the updates but that resulted in KDE Control Centre disappearing. Eventually reinstalled beta2 since it was easier than spending days trying to get back to normal again but the problems listed above remained unchanged with or without the updates.

So far I can hardly see anything noticebly different to Spring, just different wallpaper and rearranging of the Menu and little else. The setting up of my Epson Photo R390 printer was whiz bang though..

I hope to be pleasently surprised with the Final version but am not holding my breath though.

Cheers. John.

Noticed the mention of keyboard problems by members. I did have ocassional problems with the space bar in that it would back page when I was adding a comment to a page while in Firefox with the result that I often had to start over again.. Never ever happens in Spring.

JB.

Edited by AussieJohn

No sound. No sound output at all from XMMS or any sound application. All normal in Spring.

Just noticed that recent libalsa and sound-scripts cooker updates fixed my sound probs (i.e. no hack inside rc.local necessary anymore). Thx! :thumbs:

Rest of beta2 is already working well here (GNOME +3D).

:D

Thanks Adam. I look forward to it. I certainly will try it out and keep you posted as to the results.

I have been doing systematic downloads of what appear to be update packages that do not appear in the update routine, (they are marked with a deep blue button).

This has fixed the missing Home icon on the desktop and also the Storage icon on the desktop as well. Haven't finished yet so will continue and see what happens.

Cheers. John.

I have been doing systematic downloads of what appear to be update packages that do not appear in the update routine, (they are marked with a deep blue button).

On my cooker installation, I mark the main, contrib and non-free media as update sources and mdv-update identifies any newer packages as updates.

Jim

Can you recommend a good cooker mirror (preferably offering rsync support) better than nluug.nl? I'm using it for some time since it's even better than muenster, which gave me permanent lockups during downloads (both on rsync and ftp).

EDIT: The cooker mirror I was referring to was muenster, not stuttgart, but problems are the same...

Edited by scoonma

Sure...

ATM I have no broken packages from http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr and for plf I use http://mandriva.cointech.net

Both have rsyncing

Of course there's no warranty about them working a few days later...

BTW after upgrading the kernel to 2.6.22-6 I had a lot of trouble updating the VMWare tools... I had to manually edit a couple of source files (a VERY dirty and ugly hack, but it works...), as even the latest any-any patch would not succesfully compile the needed modules.

I guess that the final kernel version in 2008.0 will take care of VMWare issues. Actually VirtualBox may well work fine without much fuss, but unfortunately VMWare still has some significant pluses over it, and all my VM's are made on it, so it's not that easy to get rid of this annoyance...

Edited by scarecrow