Mandriva Linux 2008 Beta 1 available!

dexter11

I've found only the French blog post so here it is translated by Google.

You can read here what you can expect in the final version. You can find here the Release Notes.

Important!

According to the blog post the current DVD image is corrupted and the correct one is being uploaded. Wait for the mirrors to download the new iso file. The correct size of mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-beta1.i586.iso is: 3.345.227 776 bytes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's completely possible that the file was corrupted during the original upload. QC wouldn't have caught something like that until after the upload had finished. I'd personally give them credit for correcting it so quickly.

It's completely possible that the file was corrupted during the original upload. QC wouldn't have caught something like that until after the upload had finished. I'd personally give them credit for correcting it so quickly.

So nobody tests it after it has been uploaded, such a simple thing to test? Looks like a weakness in the QC chain to me (last I looked they had a QC department, looks like they were sleeping on the job :lol2:). If this was a sponsored and/or community project I would have some sympathy, but this isn't hence the harsh criticism. ;)

So nobody tests it after it has been uploaded, such a simple thing to test?
You misread what I said, I think. They couldn't test it until it was fully uploaded. I personally don't know the exact hour, second and millisecond original was uploaded, or when they found the error and began uploading the new one. Apparently you do? Because you're certainly ready to criticize based on a single post, it would seem. :screwy:

Not to mention that, based on every post referring to it I've looked at, it appears they found the error and began uploading the new DVD rather quickly (ever upload a DVD ISO? Ever tried to sync a crap ton of mirrors?). In less than a few hours from the initial upload, and at most in less than a day. Personally, I think you just feel the need to cut on Mandriva, since there is no evidence giving reason to do so, aside from your own assumptions.

You misread what I said, I think. They couldn't test it until it was fully uploaded. I personally don't know the exact hour, second and millisecond original was uploaded, or when they found the error and began uploading the new one. Apparently you do? Because you're certainly ready to criticize based on a single post, it would seem. :screwy:

Not to mention that, based on every post referring to it I've looked at, it appears they found the error and began uploading the new DVD rather quickly (ever upload a DVD ISO? Ever tried to sync a crap ton of mirrors?). In less than a few hours from the initial upload, and at most in less than a day. Personally, I think you just feel the need to cut on Mandriva, since there is no evidence giving reason to do so, aside from your own assumptions.

No assumptions really, bringing things into context, the guy (gal?) writing the original blog knew that the file had been uploaded and was available, that to me states that the file was publicly available. You don't need a formal notice to announce things like this, you get enthusiasts that check mirrors in anticipation of new releases, etc, then announce it themselves and generate the inevitable hysteria. A good manager that knew the market that they are dealing with would know that and would have taken reasonable steps to prevent that file appearing to the public before it could be adequately checked, that is where the QC failed in my opinion.

A good manager that knew the market that they are dealing with would know that and would have taken reasonable steps to prevent that file appearing to the public before it could be adequately checked, that is where the QC failed in my opinion.
Dude, are you serious? Give me a break. It has to be publicly available at some point prior to "official" release so that anyone mirroring can sync and get the files. IMHO, what would be worse is of QC kept the file hidden until right before an announcement, and then every mirror is running to sync at the same time every one else is trying to download, completely killing speeds from the main server, delaying everyones download and the amount of time it would take for mirrors to sync, thereby compounding the problem.

I just tried to install it on a VMWare virtual machine using the boot.ISO image, and it failed at the partitioning stage.

DiskDrake reported some crazy diskspace after setting the main partitions (380 GB while just 18 GB were allacated via VMWare...), and even after leaving that bogus gigas unallocated DiskDrake was unable to write anything on the virtual disk partition table...

I can't recall having such an issue in the past with Cooker's boot.iso images - perhaps it's a new installation feature? :P

Passwords?
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I knew you were going to say that. Do you really think it's worth the pain of setting up a password, giving that password out to all the possible people who would want to mirror (and, thereby requiring anyone who wants to mirror to request the password), having to try to keep the password out of the public (yeah...like it wouldn't get leaked) just to keep a some anxious people from grabbing an ISO that they should know better than to get prior to an official release announcement anyways? No, I don't think so. And you are still criticizing them based on your own assumptions, since there are no real facts about how the file got corrupted, exactly when they noticed it, and exactly how long after it was originally uploaded it was fixed - not to mention that, without an official release announcement, no one should have been touching the file anyways. Without further details your criticism is groundless, which is the reason I'm responding to it as I am.

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I knew you were going to say that. Do you really think it's worth the pain of setting up a password, giving that password out to all the possible people who would want to mirror (and, thereby requiring anyone who wants to mirror to request the password),

Have you totally ignored my comment above, i'm looking at things in terms of business processes, not a community project, maybe my flaw is comparing Mandriva to "real" businesses, fair enough.