Where to start from?

Hi!

I am keen on knowing more about kernel programming using C++, i do remember reading articles which talk about C++ being a bad choice for kernel programming but this was a while ago when the compilers were not half as good as they are now. Any suggestions about where i can start, i am a novice when it comes to kernel programming and have always been fascinated with it. If i were to begin, where do i start from? I want to start from the basics since i know nothing about kernel programming and its architecture.

Thanks

I have this one myself, a great introduction to the kernel and how it operates. From this you could start messing around, and then delve into something a bit more complicated.

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Develop...s/dp/0672327201

After that, there's the in kernel Documentation/, linux device drivers (3rd Ed) - available free online too, and probably other books I don't know.

Careful buying books, that you get the latest edition, otherwise you'll end up with a useless book about Kernel 2.4. Things have changed a *lot* since then, so don't even consider old editions.

James

Linux kernel is written in C not C++. And if memory serves well Linus doesn't like the idea of C++ in the Linux kernel.

Very good point dexter, and I can't over emphasize starting with an 'old' kernel, and starting here: CompleteNewbies, or you will become overwhelmed with all the code in a new kernels.

Hey,

I just wanted to say that i do know for a fact that the Linux kernel is written in C and its applications are written either in C or C++ on Gtk+ or Gtkmm (C++) . I just wanted to know if C++ was being used in the newer versions.

Thanks

Edited by lambofgod

Hey,

I just wanted to say that i do know for a fact that the Linux kernel is written in C and its applications are written either in C or C++ on Gtk+ or Gtkmm (C++) . I just wanted to know if C++ was being used in the newer versions.

Thanks

AFAIk no. It's written only in C. Besides if you are just started to learn about kernels then you should start something which was written for teaching. Like Minix 1 or 2 or GNU/Fiwix. There should be others too.