disappearing .iso file

janet.doe

I'm not quite sure if this is right forum for this question, if not, someone will move this to the right place. :)

I downloaded mandriva 2007.1 dvd iso. All went as supposed. Then I burned the DVD (with k3b) and problems came. My machine frosed at the end of burning and there was nothing to do but close the computer by pressing the power button. After rebooting I found that the mandriva iso-file has gone from the folder that I've put it. There is only a empty lost+found folder there now. Is there any way to recover that disappeared file? I tested the md5sum of that dvd that I burned and it's not the same that the md5sum of the .iso file, should it be? I really need that dvd today and I don't have time to download it again. Please tell me that there is something to do... :cry:

:help:

Try to look in your trash folder at your desktop.

And yes the md5-sum on the DVD has to be the same as the .iso

If the .iso isn't in the trash folder, can't you use a Livecd instead?

I've just found this:

My k3b uses /home/MY_USERNAME/tmp/kde-MY_USERNAME/ as a temporary folder, the iso can be in there

Try to look in your trash folder at your desktop.

And yes the md5-sum on the DVD has to be the same as the .iso

If the .iso isn't in the trash folder, can't you use a Livecd instead?

It's not in the trash. And no, live cd isn't an option now. I have installed spring to a friends computer from a live cd and there is not too many programs... She has not a internet connection yet (it takes about in 6 weeks from now to open), so I can't add programs via urpmi for her system... well, now I have one broken dvd with many rpms I hope I can use (hopely they aren't broken), but still, it would have been so much easier to make a fresh install from a dvd. Sometimes I wish I could turn back time...

:cry:

I've just found this:

My k3b uses /home/MY_USERNAME/tmp/kde-MY_USERNAME/ as a temporary folder, the iso can be in there

It's not in any temp folder either...

Edited by janet.doe

Maybe when you hard reboot/shutdown your computer the journal of the ext3 filesystem got corrupted.

You should run a fsck on the home partition if not the same of the / (root) partition.

Or you can always download the iso again cause you might never find it in your system again,or if you find it will be corrupted for sure not take in account that the md5sum is not the same.

I livecd is very useful in cases like this because if system is broken or any other odd things that might happen you can boot and try to find out what is wrong.

Downloading dvd again seems the best option to me.... :D

Cheers...

I think that I'll try once more to make a working dvd. This was second time I tried - first time my internet connection disconnected and now burning the dvd went as it went... Maybe it's like they say - third time is a charm... I have never ever had so much troubles with iso-files (or any other download) than with this one. I can't believe this can be so hard. :) It all most feels that someone is trying to tell me something :lol2: . I even made my father to try downloading (he has much faster connection that I have) the dvd, but he has some problems with internet connection too, and he couldn't get the dvd downloaded. He tried from four different mirrors and every time downloading stopped when about half of the dvd got downloaded... There is something in the air, I think...

Thanks for both of you! :thanks:

Pssst... The boot.ISO netinstall image is just ten (10) MB long, and it brings you always the latest and greatest of Mandriva, without having to download things that you do not need/will never use... :rolleyes:

There where I'm going to install is no internet connection yet, so netinstall is not possible... I'll try one more time downloading and if that fails that's it - I give up and make my friend to wait until she gets internet connection open. :D

There where I'm going to install is no internet connection yet, so netinstall is not possible... I'll try one more time downloading and if that fails that's it - I give up and make my friend to wait until she gets internet connection open. :D

What download manager are you using to get the dvd iso?

You could try using wget in command line and suports resuming just add the -c switch and it will be resumed...for me never had corrupted downloads....but it might have to do with what kind of net connection,ever used high speed cable with linux so for most slower links could be diferent...

Normally i would do:

cd ~ 
wget -c ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrivalinux/official/iso/2007.1/mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso

So the file is saved in your home folder /home/you

if download fails you can resume ,just run the same comand again.

Cheers....

wget is fine for sure, and aria2 is even better... CLI syntax is even simpler than wget:

aria2c ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrivalinux/official/iso/2007.1/mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso

This thing will automatically set download mirrors, and (if you use a metalink) will use both normal http/ftp and p2p to get the file for you.

I managed to download a dvd iso. It has the right md5sum and it didn't disappear anywhere after unsuccessful burning. Once again, when burning the dvd, at the end of the process I had to use the power button to turn off the computer. After that I downloaded nero for linux and with that burning went well until the end but still the dvd has wrong md5sum. Well, I decided to try that dvd anyhow to my man's computer (there was a tiny empty space) and installation was successful - mandriva is working as it's supposed to work. Or at least I don't see anything wrong there...

Oh, it would be so nice to know what's going on with me and my computer and this one mandriva dvd... If you know, please let me know. :D

And this I have to tell... I was thinking this thing and decided to download a DSL cd image. Burning that didn't cause any troubles and that cd has right md5sum - maybe there is something missing on my system or maybe my dvd burner isn't working so well...

:wall:

And this I have to tell... I was thinking this thing and decided to download a DSL cd image. Burning that didn't cause any troubles and that cd has right md5sum - maybe there is something missing on my system or maybe my dvd burner isn't working so well...

Some dvd burners are more particular about the media they use than others. This can sometimes be corrected with a firmware update, if one is available. You could also try a different media, I have personally found that DVD-R works better for me when burning iso files. YMMV.

Remember to burn slow, I use 2 or 4x at the most.

Some dvd burners are more particular about the media they use than others. This can sometimes be corrected with a firmware update, if one is available. You could also try a different media, I have personally found that DVD-R works better for me when burning iso files. YMMV.

Remember to burn slow, I use 2 or 4x at the most.

I have tried burning to DVD-R and to DVD-RW, don't have any +R or +RW now. Maybe I'll go shopping and get one or two... I was thinking to do that anyway... Tomorrow.

I'm burning slow 2x usually.

I managed to download a dvd iso. It has the right md5sum and it didn't disappear anywhere after unsuccessful burning. Once again, when burning the dvd, at the end of the process I had to use the power button to turn off the computer. After that I downloaded nero for linux and with that burning went well until the end but still the dvd has wrong md5sum. Well, I decided to try that dvd anyhow to my man's computer (there was a tiny empty space) and installation was successful - mandriva is working as it's supposed to work. Or at least I don't see anything wrong there...

Oh, it would be so nice to know what's going on with me and my computer and this one mandriva dvd... If you know, please let me know. :D

:wall:

Where are you downloading the iso from? Was it the same place as before? Maybe this would explain the md5sum problem. I would try an alternative mirror to download the DVD or whatever iso it is your obtaining to download. Also, downloading through some browsers have problems with files over 2GB. I would open the command line and use wget instead, but copy the url from your browser, so it makes it easy for you. Then you can just type:

wget -c

and then paste the url after the -c of course putting a space between the -c and the url you copied. The -c allows resuming the download too.

This may not be the case in this instance, but about a year ago, when burning DVDs with k3b was relatively new, k3b always told me that my md5sum was incorrect after a burn, but I never had problems with the disks. (Even when I checked the md5sum of the DVD manually, it gave me an incorrect md5sum.) I'm not sure if this inconsistency is cleared up, since I don't burn too many ISOs.

As for locking up, sometimes this happened to me when my burner was the secondary slave as opposed to master and/or the jumper was set to cable-select as opposed to master or slave.