I want Gnome not KDE

neil-a1000

I have installed Mandriva 2007 spring. All is working well - sort of.

I installed from the Mandriva one GNOME CD. Yet when I load Gnome System Monitor I have a number of KDE processes running. These are:-

kacpid

kblockd/0

khelper

khubd

kjournald (2 are running)

klogd

kpsmoused

kseriod

ksoftirqd/0

kswapd0

kthread

These items have only been there since I upgraded from 2007 to 2007 Spring. KDE is the reason I use Gnome on my system as it causes my system to periodically hang for anywhere between 15 seconds and 2 minutes.

How can I now get rid of these items completely?

I have tried urpme kde, kdelibs and kdebase. Nothing installed.

I have searched through and trawled through the software lists in MCC and found nothing installed.

My system is once again hanging periodically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil

Yep. Nothing to do with KDE. If you did manage to get rid of 'em, your system wouldn't be working any more. :)

A useful thing to know is that the output of ps is in chronological order from first run program to last. If you look at the whole output you'll see all those processes come very early.

OK, they Kernel processes, but would anyone like to suggest reasons as to why my system hangs as described above?

Machine is a 2ghz Celeron with 512mb, GeForce Gfx 240gb Hdd.

If I look in System monitor I see no major CPU or memory usage, in fact whilst typing this message the system did hang and yet I am only using 8% cpu and 174mb Memory.

Something somewhere is trapping my system or even taking over temporarily.

The hung system is simply no access of the keyboard or mouse, although sometimes you can get some small pointer movement from thw mouse yet nothing worthwhile.

This is really starting to get on my nerves.

Neil.

I am truly amazed that with such little knowledge of Linux, that you are so able and quick to blame KDE for your troubles.

Gee I wish I had your ability to make such forthrights statements with so little experience. No not really.

In the Mandriva world and other Linux OSs, some Gnome stuff is basic in a KDE setup OS and as Adam has pointed out, in a Gnome based OS there is KDE parts. That is the way Linux works. Gnome and KDE are two interconnected parts of a number of parts of the whole that is a Linux OS.

Your freezes could be caused by Memory or any other hardware such as Power Supply or even the Mainboard..

You need to check out that aspect first.

John.

What video card driver/module are you using? nv, nvidia, vesa? If you're unsure, post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or check via Mandriva Control Center (AKA Configure My Computer) in the Hardware section.

OK, they Kernel processes, but would anyone like to suggest reasons as to why my system hangs as described above?
Video sounds like a good guess, but it might also be related to the network card, or USB. Try to with unplugging / exchanging things and see if it disappears.