Linux Vs. Mac

ilia_kr

Very comprehensive article. My personal choice is, of course, OS X for desktop systems. My personal productivity on a Mac is at least triple what it was in Linux and blows Windows out of the water completely.

It would be interesting to see the real figures of how many people are switching as a direct result of Vista.

Earlier in the year (Feb-Mar) I had the opportunity to use a Macbook Pro. I was very impressed with it. I had terminal access which makes me very happy. Further, I actually was really at home with how SOME things work coming from a very Linux world. I even looked at Mac skins/themes for KDE.

I'm guessing that I was doing things in a very difficult manner. I had administrative privileges on this laptop and had difficulty installing software that I liked (not the .dmg installs which are super easy) but installs using Fink Commander/etc.

I also struggled with keeping X applications running over SSH without them crashing. Otherwise, I felt that the Mac OS was and is the best effort to push a non-Windows (BSD) OS out and it be commercially accepted. I do believe that one of the best things that could ever happen to Linux is some major computer company adopting it similar to how Mac adopted BSD and spent a lot of time/money on development and polishing.

Jon

FreeBSD.

James

I honestly don't think you can put FreeBSD above Linux and Mac as a desktop replacement. Besides, the article would've been pretty much the same for FBSD as it was for Linux, so why bother to write them both up?

When it comes to open source desktop systems, Ubuntu is by far the best for n00bs, imho.

I honestly don't think you can put FreeBSD above Linux and Mac as a desktop replacement. Besides, the article would've been pretty much the same for FBSD as it was for Linux, so why bother to write them both up?

When it comes to open source desktop systems, Ubuntu is by far the best for n00bs, imho.

I was being a tad sarcastic :)

I do believe that one of the best things that could ever happen to Linux is some major computer company adopting it similar to how Mac adopted BSD and spent a lot of time/money on development and polishing.

That is exactly what i think. Maybe Canonical would be the one.