Unable to install from Mandriva One 2007 LiveCD

Guest Ryan

I just downloaded the Mandriva One 2007 Spring Gnome Iso image n burned it to a cd..I'm able to boot into the Live CD desktop where thrs this 'Install' icon on the desktop..when i click on it, nothing happens... :wall: I checked to see if clicking the cd/dvd rom icon will take me to the files on the CD..but it says the drive is not mounted...what is the work around for this problem? Can i copy the files to the hard disk and install from there? Pls help me out... :unsure:

My system is C2D E6300, MSI 965P Neo, Kingston 1 GB DDR2 667, XFX 7600 GS 256 MB...Sony DVD Writer - DRU 820A..which is connected to the JMicron IDE controller... 2 Samsung 160 GB SATA HDDs..(both on the Intel ICH8 sata controller)..

You may need to give it a little time before the install program loads; since it's a LiveCD it can be slow to start things occasionally (eveything has to be loaded into RAM). If you have, however, given it significant amounts of time to start the install program (say, 2+ minutes) then there may be another issue, and my first suggestion would be to check the md5sum of the file and re-burn at a slower speed.

Well, i clicked on the live install icon and it just doesnt have any effect whatsoevr.. :unsure: .i mean, shouldn't my DVD drive's led start blinking or something? Also when i click on the cd/dvd rom drive icon, it says 'unable to mount the drive'...so tht means, the installer is not able to find the files on tht location, rite??

Can i mount the cdrom drive from the live cd ? If so, please help me with the mounting process..:) Also is it possible to tell the installer to look for the installation files at some other place than the CD?? Tht way, i can atleast copy the files to a local hard drive and install from there..Is it possible with the live cd? Thanks for helping me out..:)

Edit : I had burned the cd at 8x speed..:)

Edited by Ryan

Well, i clicked on the live install icon and it just doesnt have any effect whatsoevr.. :unsure: .i mean, shouldn't my DVD drive's led start blinking or something? Also when i click on the cd/dvd rom drive icon, it says 'unable to mount the drive'...so tht means, the installer is not able to find the files on tht location, rite??

Can i mount the cdrom drive from the live cd ? If so, please help me with the mounting process..:) Also is it possible to tell the installer to look for the installation files at some other place than the CD?? Tht way, i can atleast copy the files to a local hard drive and install from there..Is it possible with the live cd? Thanks for helping me out..:)

Edit : I had burned the cd at 8x speed..:)

You mean you have two DVD drives right? One with the live cd and you can't mount the other.

You mean you have two DVD drives right? One with the live cd and you can't mount the other.

Lol..no, i have just one DVD drive and it has the live cd in it...it is connected to the Jmicron ide controller on my MSI 965P motherboard. Like all mobos for Intel C2D, it does not have support for PATA ide controller from the ICH8(only has support for SATA drives)...instead it employs a third party JMicron ide controller for a PATA Hdd or CD/DVD drive.

I have suffered this same 'cd not found' error with other older distros of linux too...seems like the Linux installer does not recognize the dvd drive on the Jmicron controller.. :unsure:

I have an extra option in Bios boot priority for the DVD Drive...as Sony DVD RW DRU-820A.

So the boot options are :

CD ROM

HDD

SONY DVD RW DRU 820 A

Few more usual options below it.

So yeah, the point is, if i select CD ROM first and then HDD (and ignore the SONY DVD RW DRU 820A option) in boot priority, i am not able to boot from the CD!! IT simply goes ahead with the HDD booting options.. :mellow:

but if I select SONY DVD RW DRU 820A first and then HDD, then i am able to boot into the CD....Now lies the problem ahead..I can boot from the live CD and get to the desktop, but strangely, after getting there and pressing the 'Live Install' icon, it doesnt do anything...obviously the installer is not able to find the files!!

Clicking the CD/DVD rom icon (again, i have only 1 DVD drive :P ) says, "unable to mount the drive"... :unsure:

So wanted to know if there is some way to mount the CD/DVD drive while on the LiveCD desktop?

Or atleast tell the installer to look for the installation files in some other location!! tht way, i cud atleast copy the files to my HDD and try to install from there..is it possible?

I'm sure many who have the Intel C2D and 965 or higher chipset mobos will have the same issue as they have scrapped the support for pata ide from their chipset. They are now emplyoing 3rd party controllers like JMicron which obviously is way too inferior and has trouble with detection on Linux..Is there a solution for this problem? :mellow:

Edited by Ryan