Yet another nVidia driver problem [solved]

Guest Anpulli

Guest Anpulli

Hi all!

Newbie here.. Tried to search the forum and Google but without any good results. My problem is as follows: Just installed Mandriva Free 2007 Spring on an empty hard drive so it's as "fresh" as it can be. After finding out that I have to have kernel-sources before trying to install nVidia-driver, I actually got it working ..until I restarted the computer. After that the situation is about the same as it was before installing the driver, no 3D goodies available. Reinstalling the driver doesn't do any good.

So what am I missing here? Seems like the driver doesn't "load up" at boot or something like that. Some web page suggested that I should add a line saying "nvidia" without the quotes to modprobe.preload but would that really do the trick? It already says "nvidia-agp" there.

I bet it's something quite simple but haven't just figured it out yet. So, any help greatly appreciated.

edit: forgot to mention that I have Geforce 7800GS.

Edited by Anpulli

The install instruction has been simplified a lot since 2003. The new instructions for Linux (including Mandriva) is actually on nvidias website where you got the driver in the first place.

It is amazing how many go to the trouble of getting the driver from the Nvidia website but don't bother to read the install instructions even when they are right near the downloadable driver.

Nowdays, the install procedure does NOT require opening vim to make changes to X11/xorg.conf, it is done by the install process.

Cheers. John.

Guest Anpulli
How did you install it?

First I took the kernel-sources via Control Center and then opened the console. SU, telinit 3, and then sh NVIDIAblabla... Then telinit 5 and all was ok. Until the reboot.

Should've I edited something somewhere to tell the system to load the driver during boot-up?

First I took the kernel-sources via Control Center and then opened the console. SU, telinit 3, and then sh NVIDIAblabla...
OK, I believe that you will find it easier to install your driver from the repos.

If you haven't already done so, please read and set up urpmi using the instructions to set up easyurpmi in this thread: Software installation

Follow the instructions listed there and set up easyurpmi, making sure you have the PLF-free and PLF-nonfree repos.

Then in a terminal as root do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

this will install the driver, with any of the depends it needs.

It is amazing how many go to the trouble of getting the driver from the Nvidia website but don't bother to read the install instructions even when they are right near the downloadable driver.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Ususally I would agree, but this time I don't. I remember trying to install the driver from the nvidia's site. I read all the instructions, but there were a lot of problems, and at the end of the process I found myself stuck. Then someone here told me to install from the repos, and only that solved the problem. I don't know, maybe their instructions are not "generic" enough (for all hardwares, or kernels, or distros).

Guest Anpulli
Then in a terminal as root do:
urpmi dkms-nvidia

this will install the driver, with any of the depends it needs.

This gives a long list of different files. Which one should I choose? Options go from 1 to 31..

edit:

Ok. I hope that option 2 was the right one. At least it said kernel-source-stripped and the version was the same as uname -r tells me.. Wasn't really sure about stripped or full ones but some web page told that stripped would be enough for this kind of driver installation. Hope it goes right..

Edited by Anpulli

Guest Anpulli

Okay.. installed the "repos" but no change. Still no 3d goodies and vid cards' fan is on high rpm. it should slow down if all is correct..

I believe it stil doesnt load up on boot. Ideas?

edit:

Okay.. now it works. Dunno how. Went to Control Center and fiddled around with X Server settings and it told me there was some proprietary drivers for my video adapter and asked if I would like to use them. I said yes and restarted. And there it was, The nVidia Logo. And soon after the system got it self up and running, the fan on the card slowed down.

So, was I supposed to do that or did I do something stupid?

Edited by Anpulli

You did it right. Every time you upgrade the kernel, go back to the control center and select the graphic card. It should let you know if there are proprietary drivers and it will download and install the ones you'll need. The control center has come a long way since Mandrake 8. Set up the 3d effects and try the cube, impress your friends.

Cheers, Mike

edit:

Okay.. now it works. Dunno how. Went to Control Center and fiddled around with X Server settings and it told me there was some proprietary drivers for my video adapter and asked if I would like to use them. I said yes and restarted. And there it was, The nVidia Logo. And soon after the system got it self up and running, the fan on the card slowed down.

So, was I supposed to do that or did I do something stupid?

I'm sorry, I thought that the system would tell you to restart the X-server. :)

You did everything ok! :D

Guest Anpulli

Ok then. I suppose that was it.. Thanks a lot guys! :)

Umm.. and now the mods will know I got the help that I needed? Hope so.. new here so I'm not exactly sure how this works.