Acer installs Ubuntu

arctic

"Computer maker Acer seems to have followed Dell's lead and started preinstalling Ubuntu in at least one range of its laptops."

More...

Slowly but steadily, Linux is being accepted as an alternative OS by computer vendors, as it seems.

You know what the weird thing is - Microsoft probably still aren't worried. They're happily banking on Ballmer's delusional claims of a 1 billion Windows install base by the end of the year and continuing to try and fragment Linux on the server. Meanwhile the carpet is slowly being pulled out from under them.

Funny... two articles by "The inquirer" from different years dealing with the very same thing... Looks like someone over there didn't do his homework. (Neither did I, but who cares as long as iphitus has all the links. ;) )

The Inquirer is, imho, the worst news disseminator on the Internet. Their website is ugly and their news is not fact checked, makes blind, sweeping statements and they just generally suck. If the Inquirer says something, the opposite is usually true.

The Inquirer is, imho, the worst news disseminator on the Internet. Their website is ugly and their news is not fact checked, makes blind, sweeping statements and they just generally suck. If the Inquirer says something, the opposite is usually true.

The post triggered deja'vu, so i searched up to find some articles, so while the inquirer may not be the best, i do remember it being reported elsewhere.

smh is a reliable resource, the better newspaper here :)

James

The post triggered deja'vu, so i searched up to find some articles, so while the inquirer may not be the best, i do remember it being reported elsewhere.

smh is a reliable resource, the better newspaper here :)

James

I was just adding my opinion of the Inquirer as an aside - you know me, can't keep my mouth shut :P

I think Acer's move is out of desperation - they're up poo creek at the moment in terms of sales. Maybe it's because they make such dodgy machines.

EDIT: That is, of course, if this is even happening. The Inquirer article points to a website with no such advertisement and is extrapolating based on one supposed advert for an Acer with Ubuntu on it. I'll be surprised if Acer is even considering it. And lets not forget that we are dealing with the most retarded news site in the world here...