Installation problem [solved]

lambofgod

Hello!!

I have been using Mandriva 2007 for a while now, i came upon this idea of wanting to install some additional packages such as Gtk+ etc and i got my friend's Mandriva Cds. I started getting all kinds of errors and i finally decided to reinstall Mandriva. This time i got the 2007 Spring 64bit version. Things went smoothly until i got an error which i can't really remember what it was but i could not proceed any further. It happened after i had set partitions and had started to format it. I was stuck so i rebooted the system and ever since that it does not even cross the first screen. It stops at saying initialization error before which i get a screen full of errors which says something like

<4> ide failed opcode was:unknown

<4> end-request: I/O error, dev,hda, sector 8834416

<4> hda: media error( bad sector ) : status = 0x51

<4> hda: media error( bad sector ) : { Driver ready SeekCompleteError }

And a lot more of some very similar messages. It finally exits saying " Fatal error " , " Initialization error ", exiting abnormally, it is safe to reboot or halt your system.

My machine is fairly new, its a dual boot system with 250 GB hard drive. Core 2 duo 1.86Ghz Processor with 1Gb RAM, ASUS P5GZ-MX motherboard. I desperately need to load Mandriva. Could anyone please help me out and tell me what the best possible option would be. ( Other than reformatting my entire hard drive which has a lot of data on the Windows partition ).

Thank you.

Could you clarify something: Are you getting these errors before entering your boot loader (GRUB, where you choose what OS to boot), or when you try to boot into the OS? More specifically, do you get past the BIOS?

As far as the actual issue, it seems to indicate a hard drive problem - I would suggest downloading the tool for your hard drive that checks for errors/bad sectors, you should be able to get it from the hard drive manufacturers website. Run that to ensure you hard drive is in OK condition.

Hey,

It boots from the CD rom, starts up asking me if i want to install or upgrade, i choose install and then it refuses to go any further. This happened after i formatted my HDD the first time. Like i have mentioned in my earlier post, things were going smoothly until it started giving me some errors while installing some packages this was when i used the 386iso. Then i decided to install the 64bit Mandriva 2007 Spring version since my system supports it. It formatted my HDD and then gave me some error that said /mnt -- can't remember the rest of it. Now it just does not cross " Loading the program into memory " section. It halts there and gives me all the errors that i have mentioned. One way of doing it would be to reformat my entire HDD but i don't wish to do that and i don't wish to load any other version of Linux either. There should be some way out of this.

Things went smoothly until i got an error which i can't really remember what it was but i could not proceed any further. It happened after i had set partitions and had started to format it. I was stuck so i rebooted the system

I believe this is where your problem started? You should never reboot a system while changing partitions and formatting.

One way of doing it would be to reformat my entire HDD but i don't wish to do that
I see no way around reformatting your HDD now. I would suggest using either gparted-live-cd, or the

SystemRescueCd.

Then try to reinstall your system. If you still have any problems, then download the diagnostic tools for your HD and test it, as tyme has already suggested.

Hello!

I downloaded a diagnostic tool to check my HDD, ran a variety of tests and nothing showed up. I guess its fine. The only thing that i haven't done is formatted my HDD. I have quiet a bit to back up and i can't write them all on Cds. It's a Herculean task to do it all over again. I never had this problem when i had the older version of Mandriva. I also wanted some help with regards to partitioning my HDD. How much space should i allocate and what should i load first ( Windows XP or Linux ) I have been given a few options and one of them was to load Windows XP first, with some space for data ( NTFS format ) that's two partitions then leave the third part free to load Mandriva with 2Gb of swap and finally a partition for the data.

The other option was to load Linux on

1. Hda 1 -- Linux 10Gb

2. Hda 2 -- XP ( FAT 32 ) 10Gb

3. Hda 3 -- Swap 2Gb

4. Hda 4 -- Linux \home -- 40 Gb

5. Hda 5 -- XP( FAT 32 )

I don't know which OS to install first and what is the best solution for optimized performance. I remember having read that Linux should be installed first. Can anyone tell me how to go about this.

Thank you.

Edited by lambofgod

[disclaimer]

I'm no expert - so if something goes wrong, don't come knocking on my door... :D

[/disclaimer]

I'm dual booting with WinXP and MDV 2007S.

If memory serves me right, Windows should be installed first. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've devided my HD roughly the following way:

Total 500 GB

Windows 250 GB

MDV 250 GB

Of the Windows' 250 GB I've allocated some 50 GB to C-drive and the rest for D-drive. If I did it now, I would allocate less than that for C-drive - something like 20 GB for C:\ and the rest (some 200 GB for D:\ drive and give more to Mandriva.). If you need to make an image of your C-drive, it should be something like 2 GB (max.).

I've allocated MDV part this way:

Mount point: /
	   sda6
	   7.8GB (1%)
	   Mount point: swap
	   sda7
	   3.8GB (0%)
	   Mount point: /home
	   sda8
	   190GB (40%)
	   Mount point: /usr
	   sda9
	   19GB (4%)

But in the end you should decide if you need more space on Win side or on MDV side of your PC. I allocated a lot of space in Windows for all sorts of PC games and for Mandriva I need it of good resolution photos.

At one point I noticed that I could have allocated more for some programme installation in Mandriva and this (above) is the allocation of HD space for Mandriva that I ended up with.

Hey!!

I finally did reformat my HDD and install WinXP and tried installing Mandriva on it but in vain, i got the same error that i have mentioned in my first post. I figured one thing that if there was something wrong with my HDD ( bad sector ) i should not have been able to install Windows either. I really don't know what to do now. I have not even made a partition for Linux as such, just left a lot of place for it on the HDD. Any suggestion as to what i could possibly do since i am done with the formatting bit as well.

Thanks

Hey!!

I wish to thank all of you for helping me out and giving me pointers about a dual boot system, i am indeed very happy to say that i have sorted out my problem, i had to install some motherboard drivers and things are working pretty well, i am using Mandriva to post this message and i really am very happy that i got this thing going again. Thanks to everyone of you for helping me out.