Newer Kernel

The default Mandriva kernel actually is optimized for i686. If you were to install Mandriva on an i586 CPU you'd notice that kernel-legacy gets installed instead of the stock kernel: this is because the stock kernel will not work on i586 machines and we keep kernel-legacy around for such machines. So, you don't need to do anything. :)

Just out of interest, does it hurt if I have a legacy kernel with an i686 processor?

I have a laptop with a Centrino processor, ie Pentium M which I thought was called i686. But according to uname I have a legacy kernel. Does this matter at all, or not in the slightest? I was never given an option to choose this, as far as I can remember. I'm using 2007.1 Spring, by the way, installed from One.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.17-13mdvlegacy #1 SMP Fri Mar 23 19:05:24 UTC 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz GNU/Linux

Edited by neddie

An i586 kernel will operate fine on an i686 system (the architecture is backwards compatible). Technically, an i686 kernel would run better on an i686 machine as the instructions will be more optimized for the architecture, but realistically, anyone not running load-heavy processes on a regular basis is unlikely to see a large difference in performance.

Pure 586 machines are old Pentiums and Celerons (or older).

Pentium Pro, Pentium II and newer are all i686 class.

Old centrinos are PIII family, so even the older ones are i686 class.

But, as said above, the real difference between i486 kernel (e.g. Slackware) and i686 isn't noticeable, most of the times. i386 optimized ones are usually noticeably slower, though.

Edited by scarecrow

Update, incase someone thinks it's solved:

uname -a says it's an i686 processor but I have legacy installed, which kernal should I choose to update to?

[jerome@jerome Desktop]$ uname -a
Linux jerome 2.6.17-5mdvlegacy #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:40:00 EDT 2006 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ GNU/Linux

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I also installed from the 2007 Spring live cd, and am running an i586 kernel on an i686 system. I often run heavy load bases, and would dearly love to not only update to a i686 kernel, but also to an smp kernel that will support my cpu hyperthreading dual-core processor. Much faster than windows ever was, but would still love to optimize my performance.

Have been however having serious troubles installing another kernel. I've tried selecting various kernels in the package manager, installing them with dkms and devel packages, and watched my system reboot with problems in my X environment. Basically I'm told I have no windows manager installed. There are no borders around my windows, can't move them, can only open one thing at a time, can't use ANY advanced graphical functions, and it sucks. When this has happened I've tried rebooting from the old kernel, tried uninstalling every package I installed to try and get the new kernel working, and no matter what I do I can't fix this problem. My only recourse has been to reinstall, or use Mondo to restore my system to before I stuffed about with any kernels. Any idea what's going on? Have I done something wrong?

When I switch users the same thing happens, (i.e. I open another user while I have one still running) I have no advanced graphical features. I can always log out of the new session I've opened though, and return to the original with no problems. Anyway, would really love some help updating to a newer kernel, preferably one still supported by Mandriva for updates. Could part of my problem be trying to install some of the newer kernels that aren't built with third party driver support? How can I build these drivers myself? Thanks for any advice.

~Mitchell

You will always get the -legacy kernel when you install from One, because One only includes the -legacy kernel - it's the kernel with the widest hardware compatibility, so it makes sense (it'll *work* on anything, it'll just a bit slower than the regular kernel on newer machines, and won't see more than 1GB of memory, but it *works*).

The safest kernel to try and use instead is kernel-2.6.17.13mdv or kernel-2.6.17.14mdv . Anything -multimedia or -tmb is a bit trickier.

You should make sure to install the matching version of kernel-source-stripped or kernel-source when changing or updating kernels.

For -tmb kernels, you should install the matching -devel package instead (as -tmb uses a different way of splitting up the files necessary for building modules).