Mandriva 2007.1 freezing

Mitchell

Wow. Thanks John. It will be a few days before I am able to test it I think, at least that thoroughly. Will the test actually end, or do I need to end it after a set time?

~Mitchell

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible Hardware issues aside, there really does seem to be some problem with my wireless controller...just restarted after another freeze, and here is the last few lines up to the freeze from /var/log/messages :

Aug 2 11:02:33 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

Aug 2 11:02:33 localhost kernel: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map

Aug 2 11:02:33 localhost kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

Aug 2 11:02:33 localhost kernel: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

Aug 2 11:11:45 localhost ntpd[5566]: kernel time sync error 0001

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Controller RESET (TX timeout) ...

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:07.0 disabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 22

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Chip ID 0x4306, rev 0x3

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Number of cores: 5

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Core 0: ID 0x800, rev 0x4, vendor 0x4243, enabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Core 1: ID 0x812, rev 0x5, vendor 0x4243, disabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Core 2: ID 0x80d, rev 0x2, vendor 0x4243, enabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Core 3: ID 0x807, rev 0x2, vendor 0x4243, disabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Core 4: ID 0x804, rev 0x9, vendor 0x4243, enabled

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: PHY connected

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Detected PHY: Version: 2, Type 2, Revision 2

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Detected Radio: ID: 2205017f (Manuf: 17f Ver: 2050 Rev: 2)

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Radio turned off

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Radio turned off

Aug 2 11:39:36 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Controller restarted

Aug 2 11:39:51 localhost kernel: martian destination 0.0.0.0 from 192.168.1.1, dev eth0

Aug 2 14:57:08 localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

All this is very similar to the other two message logs from the last 2 feezes. What could be going on here, assumin git isn't hardware related. I'm on the brink of reinstalling everything, and leaving my wireless card without it's driver. I know with windows there are issues using both a LAN cable to the router and a wireless connection, I won't be surprised if this happens with Linux as well. Anyone else able to shed some light on this before I reinstall everything? (yes, I know 'you don't reinstall in linux', but this problem is giving me the shits.)

Cheers.

I am not an expert, but my opinion is that you should try to grab the driver for your wireless, grab the newest vanilla kernel source and compile a kernel of your own and test it. If that one also results in freezes, then it is with 99% probability a hardware related problem.

Are you on the stock 2007 Spring kernel?

If so, problems with bcm43xx don't surprise me in the least. The version of bcm43xx in kernel 2.6.17 (which is the stock kernel of 2007 Spring), frankly, sucks. It only works reliably with a couple of controllers out of the dozen or so that are available.

bcm43xx in later kernels - especially 2.6.20 onwards - is a lot better.

I'd recommend trying a 2.6.20 or later kernel (it's a LOT easier to just install kernel-tmb from contrib, which is 2.6.20 in /release and 2.6.21 in /backports, than trying to build your own). Or stay with 2.6.17, but stop using bcm43xx and use ndiswrapper instead.

Ok guys, thanks for that. Those are some better options to reinstalling, especially if this is likely to occur again. Firstly though, I'm still anewbie to Linux, and am reaching the limit of my knowledge. The next gap for me to look up has been kernels, and what they actually are. Of course I know they're the bare bones of the operating system, but past that is a blank. Mandriva 2007.1 installed with 2.6.17-13, and getting all the updates I needed to download the latest legacy meta-kernel, and source code, for kernel 2.6.17-14. When I switch to a virtual console (ctrl + Alt + F1), I'm told I'm running kernel 2.6.17-13. While Compliing from the Vanilla code source sounds like a cool idea Arctic, without more research (probably ALOT more at this point) it's going to be beyond my skill level. I"d like to give kernel 2.6.20 a try, what is the difference between this kernel and other possibilities, particularly what I have now? Also, can I just download and install it from the RPM database, or do I need to configure something once I've installed it? Also, how do I use ndiswrapper instead of bcm43xx?

Lastly, other than a possible hardware issue, any ideas why this would play up now, after perhaps a month of running Mandriva without the problem of freezing? (I have made several backups in this period of my entire operating system with Mondo, and have used this to restore my system to an earlier time on several occasions. Could this be part of the problem? Restoring my system to it's earliest setting hasn't worked either....)

Thanks so much to everyone who has been trying to help, it's much appreciated.

~Mitchell

Well, not solved yet, but as far as I'm concerned the problem is with my bcm43xx. Just had the same problem on my laptop after a fresh install, where it froze. Last log before it froze said:

Aug 2 18:24:38 localhost kernel: bcm43xx: Controller restarted

Totally different computers, both using Belkin wireless cards. Tried using Ndiswrapper instead, wouldn't support it. (at least using MCC, deleting the interface and then trying to create a new wireless connection using ndiswrapper. Didn't like it.) So...next step? Upgrading my kernel. Scary. Will let you know how it goes...

So...next step? Upgrading my kernel. Scary.

Use your software package manager to install the 2.6.20 in /release, as adamw has already said. You will still have your older kernel... if there's any problem, to choose from in the boot menu. Not too scary. :)

Hi Greg2, had worked that out...now have serious issues. Used the kernel above what you suggested, 2.6.21.5 something like that. System didn't boot nicely with that kernel, much of the essentials weren't able to install, as they lacked kernel packages for them. I had hoped this would be natively included in the updated kernel (sigh). Not certain yet, but think I may have to stick to 2.6.13... Will try a few more things... there were other options in package manager for 2.6.20

Unfortunately, now my desktop environment has disabled moving windows, borders around windows, etc. etc. So....I'm reinstalling. Will keep my /home /backup and /guestos partitions (last 2 are custom made for different reasons), and reinstal the rest. The big question I have is what the heck do I do after that about my kernels? Will play around and let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

Yay! Success!!! Well, sort of...

Reinstalled everything last night, except my /home, /guestos, and /backup partitions. Even added a seperate boot partition for good measure, though I hadn't used it before. Anyway, did a clean install of everything else. System is running beautifully, with no freezes. So desktop pc now works fine...until I need to use my wireless card...and until I use my laptop, which I need the wireless card for, and is still having these problems.

mitchell: sounds like you're talking about DKMS packages. For these to work you just have to ensure you also install the matching -devel package for the kernel you installed (so kernel-tmb-desktop-devel , if you installed kernel-tmb-desktop).

Thanks for that. Yeah, that makes more sense. I'll give that a go once I've made a full system backup of my current configuration with mondo. At the least I'd like my current configuration to be able to be restored, if I stuff up anything after this. Anyway, will let you know how it goes with the next kernel install. The reason I was using an smp kernel is that my cpu handles hyperthreading. Would be nice to have this working. I have noticed however, that some applications I'm running seem to require a 2.6.13 kernel version, notably Virtual Box. If I install kernel-smp-2.6.21.05 properly, will virtual box still be supported? If not, then I'll need to keep the old kernel, and look at sorting out something else. (notice there's a multimedia desktop version of kernel 2.6.13, might try that.) Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.

There's a DKMS package for the VirtualBox kernel module. If you ensure that dkms-virtualbox is installed, and install the appropriate -devel package for the updated kernel package you install, it should work (the kernel module will be automatically rebuilt when you boot up).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back again. Found the DKMS package for virtualbox, built fine under kernel 2.6.21.5-smp. Unfortunately my windows manager stuffed it again, no windows around boxes, etc. COuldn't do much. DIdn't actually try virtualbox, just assumed it was working. Anyway, rebooted from my original kernel (2.6.17.13-legacy), and the same thing happened. couldn't get my graphical interface back to normal again. Just did a system restore with Mondo (bless that wonderful program!), and everything's fine again.

notice I had problems with these below:

hcfpcimodem

hsfmodem

madwifi

ndiswrapper

None of them were able to be installed, they either complained of multiple versions in DKMS, or the build failed. Checked which packages I actually had in dkms, and they were there, but only one each. When I boot up the stock kernelinto verbose mode I'm told these are already installed on that kernel. Is this the case of the other kernels as well?

Anyway, no idea of what to try next. This is about the 3rd time I've tried updating my kernel, and failed miserably, blocked when my graphical interface died. Any suggestions? Tried to configure my wireless card through ndiswrapper through the control centre, and was told there was no support for my wireless device. Also, would like to at least update my kernel to 2.6.17.14, there's a multimedia version that supports hyper-threading. Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

~Mitchell

Hey Mitchell, sounds like you're having quite a time of it there. Well done for persevering - it helps everyone! :thumbs:

I can only offer my opinions, experiences and suggestions here, as alternatives to you. I did not see them being fully mentioned yet;

Consider getting another wireless card...? Physically remove the suspect item, do a fresh vanilla install, leave the box running, and see if it still freezes. If it does - it's not the card. Sometimes i go to maplins (good returns policy) and buy a new part and test it in my box to see if its going to work. If it doesn't work "well", i return it and tell them it wont work on my Linux box and get a full refund. B) Then i try a better one.

I have a strict 'policy set' when i go shopping online for my systems - I try to pick the best, top brands, med - high'med models, for Linux (these 'will' all work extremely well with windows too), something newish but not entirely state of the art - tried and tested. I try to research the technology - find out what i will need and what are the best features for forward/backward capability. I check the Linux hardware lists, check the manufacturers website (no info? - email them. -> wont support Linux? - Bye!) google for reviews by other Linux users (no reviews? it's either crap or it's too new -> next!). Only then will i look at prices and find a way to budget for it. I know I've invested well when dual boots' fly and the units give me years of hassle free service, coping with old and new system(s) changes. The item also has a higher re-sale value when i need to prune away old stock.

A few years ago i was running a PII vaio laptop with Mandriva-2005; a linksys pcmcia wireless card (ndiswrapper) & linksys wireless switched hub without any probs at all. I went on the road with the lappy, after that, for 6 months (continuous), jumping WiFi hotspots - it was sweet! I was so impressed with it i put one in my sisters acer laptop last year (Mandriva 2006) and that's been fine as well. (In my experiences with Linux) Hardware problems can be some of the most time consuming and frustrating issues. It's so damn fussy, but, you're worth it! ;)

Thanks Knoba, that cheers me up alot...I feel I'm so close...

Yes, I have thought about buying another wireless card, though apart from the initial cost (again) there's the hassle of making sure I find something that will actually work. Actually, mainly it's the cost...

I'm sure it's the bcm43xx controller, now that I haven't installed the driver to make my Belkin wireless card operational, there's no more freezes, and my system's been fine. Although last night when I switched it off, I found I had been running my box all night....had a look at the verbose shutdown menu (still going), and there was a bcm43xx message in a loop that had been running all night. Weird, it was also a first. The other really odd thing was the /var/log/messages file, which when I opened only had a bcm43xx error message. Well, with what I could read of it... that was about 2 weeks ago, and I wasn't interested in waiting long enough to be recent (other day). Am thinking of just pulling it out of my box until I sort it out. Unfortunately though I'm also running another belkin card (pcmcia) in my laptop. different plugin, but similar problems. Have been trying to upgrade my kernel, and as mentioned in my last post have been having severe difficulties. Can you recommend how to do this? Am thinking of staying with one of the stock kernels from Mandriva (either 2.6.17.13 or 2.6.17.14), as until 2008 comes out (October?) that's all they support. Hopefully 2008 will have fixed this problem? Would still like to know how to sort out my kernel installation issues, without having to restore with Mondo when it fails. I'm running hyper-threading technology with my intel processor, and would LOVE to be able to have this working. Am looking at running my box from the smp multimedia desktop 2.6.17.14 kernel. DOn't think the processor was using this with Windows, but then again it's hard to say. Windows was so bloody slow (XP).

Anyway, any advice? Have never complied a kernel before, and would love it to be as easy as simply installing the right packages from the MCC. Thanks mate,

~Mitchell