trying to roll my own

mindwave

I have spring installed and running quite nicely on my desktop at home, in an effort to try and "roll my own" from scratch I followed the directions step by step for using toronto and 2007.1 (the origin of which I cant find now that I want to point to them).

and only had tw issues in setting things up, that I could find:

1) the flash.jpg mentioned in the docs wast found in the DIR that it was pointed to, so i pulled the .jpg I DID find.

2) the syslinux package that was able to download, did have a slightly different naming scheme than those listed in the DOC, but it installed fine.

BUT then I get down to SU and run mklivecd my.iso i get:

[mindwavex@localhost ~]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost mindwavex]# mklivecd my.iso mklivecd, version 0.5.9-20060630, http://livecd.berlios.de/ Copyright © 2002-2004, Jaco Greeff <jaco@puxedo.org>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Creating initrd: [ 19.72% 00:00:00/00:00:00]cp : cannot stat `//etc/dev.d': No such file or directory ]

DIE

FATAL: Execution of 'cp -a //etc/dev.d /tmp/mklivecd.5482/initrd.dir/etc' failed [root@localhost mindwavex]#

and then it halts. I did try a few times, and the SUB DIRS for the builds are begininig to be built under the /tmp directory, with the numeric schema noted but it keeps stopping.

Not being ANYWHERE like an expert it looks like it's telling me that there is an issue actually copying files over.

but i ws hoping someone here could help/

the system is an Intel Duo Core3.6GHZ ,1.5GB ram ,(1) 320gb HD(sata), NVIDIA GEFORCE Video card.

the system supports 2007.1 and MCNL independently just fine.

any ideas appreciated.

thanks

j

mklivecd, version 0.5.9-20060630

You are using a broken mklivecd version.

Please check out these steps carefully:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=42429

And before you start again, clean out the old /tmp stuff - the mklivecd-xxxx directories.

And - keep asking. It is not easy to start from scratch. :D

ok, after a VERY loong and frustrating weekend I finally got a chance to sitdown last night and start again,

unfortunatky w. the same results. as a matter if fact, just for grins (prepare for the horror ) I even tried it logged in as root,and got:

[root@localhost ~]# mklivecd my.iso

mklivecd, version 0.5.9-20060630, http://livecd.berlios.de/ Copyright © 2002-2004, Jaco Greeff <jaco@puxedo.org>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Creating initrd: [ 19.72% 00:00:00/00:00:00]cp : cannot stat `//etc/dev.d': No such file or directory ]

DIE

FATAL: Execution of 'cp -a //etc/dev.d /tmp/mklivecd.5334/initrd.dir/etc' failed [root@localhost ~]# mklivecd my.iso mklivecd, version 0.5.9-20060630, http://livecd.berlios.de/ Copyright © 2002-2004, Jaco Greeff <jaco@puxedo.org>

Creating initrd: [ 19.72% 00:00:00/00:00:00]cp: cannot stat `//etc/dev.d': No such file or directory ]

DIE

FATAL: Execution of 'cp -a //etc/dev.d /tmp/mklivecd.5371/initrd.dir/etc' failed [root@localhost ~]#

same results in the same spot - SIGH

SO tonight, because I havent done anything to terribly permenant yet, I'm going to flatten the system and start over, brand new fresh reinstall, new partitions, new formatiing, new user accounts new everything.

THEN before I try and add ANYTHING, I start adding in the MCNL components1.

remember guys, my goal with all of this is to be able to teach it, so if starting with that end in mind i really want to get it right and clean the 1st time!

i'll post my results, and hopefully my successes!

You are still using the broken/wrong mklivecd scripts, proove:

FATAL: Execution of 'cp -a //etc/dev.d /tmp/mklivecd.5334/initrd.dir/etc' failed

You did not follow these steps, ALL steps:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=42429

In particular these:

* Replace all mklivecd scripts, just copy those from Toronto over to your installed system:

/usr/sbin/mklivecd

/usr/sbin/hwdetect

/usr/share/mklivecd/*

Ask please if you don't understand what that means, or how to do this.

Also:

* Don't work graphically logged in as root. Never! Repeat it with me: don't work ...

* Clean up the /tmp stuff, clean old iso's

* Before you start, run a: df command

* Make sure to have enough room, and enough RAM

* close all running apps, only a terminal open.

* the command to build a livecd is:

su
mklivecd --verbose nameofthe.iso

Now I WILL admit I DID miss the --verbose.

I have just been using the mklivecd MY.ISO command.

But like I said tonite I'm going to flatten it all out and start from new and KNOWN good.

One of the smartest techs I've ever known always used to say "when all else fails, go back to a KNOWN good zero, and build from there"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.