Need just one module for 2.6.17-14

The question:

How do I tell the kernel build system that there's an extra module to be compiled, and ideally, how do I tell it just to compile that one module?

The story:

I'm very happy with Mandriva 2007.1 Spring, it's working great.

But now I got a Bluetooth headset, and to use btsco to use the headset for VoIP, the module snd-bt-sco is needed...

With urpmf snd-bt-sco I found that the multimedia kernels do have this module. So I installed the multimedia laptop smp kernel.

There I can manage to record with audacity from the bt mic, and play music to it (crappy quality) from xmms. So it does work.

BUT: no wifi, ... well, it connects to the fully open AP of my neighbours, but not my WPA protected one - actually, it does connect,

/var/log/messages tells me 'link beat detected' (this is of a connection with my AP), practically directly followed by 'link beat lost',

and then detected again, but with the neighbours AP.

And what good is my bt headset for VoIP if I have no network connection....

I also had problems with suspend to disk and more, so I really don't like the multimedia kernel....

I tried running the regular kernel with the mm kernel module. Yeah I know, don't try this at home. Forced the module, but it doesn't work.

All apps trying to use the extra alsa device just hang.

What I then thought, since I'm happy with the regular kernel, is: just take out the module from the multimedia kernel source (3rdparty/snd_bt_sco IIRC)

stick it in the source of the regular kernel, and compile.

I've not had to compile any module in ages (and when I did, it was a patched one that was already available and known to the system),

but I went through the steps without thinking:

make

but then I saw (after a long wait) that it didn't make the new module.

With

make xconfig

I actually don't see the new module.

My question is: how do I tell the build system that there's extra code to be compiled, and ideally, how do I tell it just to compile that one module?

I did look at the various FAQs and such, but all just explain how to compile a kernel, not how to add a module that wasn't there in the first place...

Ok already found it, followed the advice here:

http://www.captain.at/programming/kernel-2.6/

Now I just have the problem of the Module.symvers which was missing; I loaded the module with

modprobe -f

anyway, and I know it works ok, loading without the -f won't work, so I will fix it - figured out to get the Module.symvers I have to compile the kernel. Well, that's ok.