delft in ram

vinnywright

First let me say GREAT I love this live distro MCNlive Delft and mandriva one spring... lightning fast loaded to ram 3D's to cool and it's the first live cd I'v ben abel to get wirless to work on and I'v tryed severall,,,, My queshton is with live delft runing from ram is it or is it not bad for your mem chips??? I thought I read somware that it puts a hiere than normall load on them????? see it's ben runing in ram for 2 days now and still gowing strong :D :D :D

:thumbs: VINNY :thumbs:

PS:I do have swap space provided for it ( I added some to the HD just for testing live cd's thay allwase seam to work beter with some swap sadley some dont automount them like yous dose )

Edited by vinnywright

I don't think that it is bad. :-)

It works the same way as if you would use the internal memory on a normal system.

The only difference is in the beginning when you start the system with copy2ram, that the _compressed_ big livecd.sqfs (360 MB) is copied once from the CD or the USB stick into RAM, so this part of the memory is occupied.

When you start a program, it is loaded _from_ RAM instead from the CD or the usb stick (or from HD when you are running a normal installation.) That makes it lightning fast.

The (uncompressed) program is loaded into the free part of the memory, and will stay there. If you load many programs, the memory is freed up dynamically, and/or the swap is used.

Cool I just wanted to make shure I wasent going to damage my hardware using it this way :unsure:

and let me say agin WOW I'm runing this thing (MCNL delft) on a dell Inspiron 1300 laptop 1.8GHz pentium M, 512MB RAM using onborde graphics ?Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller and sound 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller and a ?Broadcom BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/b/g PCI Express Transceiver for wirless net.it's been running in RAM with 3D cube (BERYL) for 2 days without a glitch seting up the wireless wasent to difficult in fact it's the first time I'v goten wirless to work with linux. (ahum a yes I'm a nooby) it did require using ndiswraper even though the card was reportedley detected and after teling the setup utility (mcnlive>confiigur network) ware the driver was (in the ntfs par

tition on the HD) and instaling it you get a screen of avalable networks -----except thars no networks listed-----I discoverd if you click the back button then the next buton all of a suden the networks are listed ;) now you just pick your network enter your setings and finish then log out and in and you have your little signal meater on the task bar !!!!! when I discoverd I dident like opera's torrent client I found Ktorrent in the add/remove package set --------I still cant beleve it you just check the program you wunt and click install --- that wus it it found the dipendencey's I sead ok and it downloaded and instaled them. Ktorrent was even put in the menu

O ya I'm using it now :D once agin nice work im realey concidering installing it on my next box !!!!!! every thing work's as good installd dosent it ??

Thank you vinny :-)

MCNLive is designed this way - that you can use it in live mode with all the bells and whistles and features of an installed system. When I have implemented the copy2ram feature we've made a lot of tests - mainly we tried to break the system, but we did not succeed :D

But noone tried it two days long!

I must say that your system, the Dell notebook with the Intel graphics chip, is an almost perfect box for MCNLive. I have a similiar laptop (a Lenovo with similiar specs, but a Intel wireless chips that works out of the box without ndiswrapper), and all MCNLive versions are being tested first on it.

Your question regarding installing to HD. You sure can do it, and it should not be any different, but it will be a little bit slower than with copy2ram, because of the access time of an HD when you load a program.

And if you want your laptop's setup untouched, there are several ways to deal with MCNLIve.

The first is: running it from an usb stick. Will cost you 10 $ for a 1 GB stick. And load it from the stick with copy2ram. And save the changes on the same stick, all settings and added programs and so on.

The second: get some more internal memory, another 512MB. Install the VirtualBox software on your Windows system, and install MCNLive inside a VirtualBox image. It will run at almost native speed. And will behave as any installed system. But without the 3D effects.

The third: get an external usb hard disk, a cheap 2.5 one will do. And install it there. In live mode!! On a first partition (FAT32).

And the changes also on this disk. The base system only occupies 366 MB, the changes only a few GB. You can use it with or without the copy2ram feature. And the rest of your external disk (> 100 GB) is free for your music and videos and documents.

well I think I'll try the USB thing first sounds realey portable and safe. check this out

top - 10:59:44 up 2 day, 17:12, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.02

Tasks: 86 total, 1 running, 83 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

Cpu(s): 4.0%us, 1.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 92.1%id, 0.0%wa, 1.7%hi, 0.7%si, 0.0%st

Mem: 507424k total, 501152k used, 6272k free, 60464k buffers

Swap: 538168k total, 443024k used, 95144k free, 156704k cached

this is wile running ktorrent downloading at 25-100 KB/s beryl 3D cube konqueror and opera the cpu(s)usualey stay's under 1.0% and mem used when Ktorrent's not blazing away has ben as low as 450152k used and wear still going!!!!! ;) I'll let you know how the USB goes this cumming weekend (when I can aford to spend the 10-20$) :lol2: well check back later

PS: thare may be some typos in the top output I had to type it my self sence when I went to highlite it I'd get it allmost highlited and it would refresh and loose the highlighting :wall:

edit: DUUU I gess I shuld have done q and THEN coped the stop'd output :lol2: well I am quite the nooby :)

Edited by vinnywright

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.