Local DNS names can not be resolved [solved]

jethro

Hi everybody,

I have Mandriva 2007.1 installed on my desktop. I can use the network, go on the Internet, etc. So basically everything works well. I am getting my IP from a DHCP server. The only problem is that somehow I can not ping (or browse using Firefox) to the DNS names of local machines. For example: I have a machine in my network which is called "Pete", it has the IP "192.168.100.50". I can ping to the IP address, but not to the DNS name. If I want to go to this PC using Firefox (Apache is running on "Pete") I can not do so by going to: http://Pete. However, going to http://192.168.100.50 works fine. Do I have to tweak a setting somewhere inside Mandriva to make this work?

Best regards,

Jethro

Open up /etc/hosts and add the other pc's to it, i.e.

192.168.100.50		  pete

The issue is that those names aren't true DNS addresses - they only exist local to the machines, not to the entire internal network (you'd need to set up an internal DNS for that), and they don't exist at all to the internet. The above solution bypasses the need to look up the addresses by providing them locally to the machine (when I give this name, resolve it to this address) and doesn't bother to ask the DNS servers to try to resolve it.

You have to install nss_mdns on the client PC, and avahi daemon has to be running on the server PC (if I understand correctly).

Next, you have to use Pete.local for the server name, instead of simply Pete.

Yves.

I'm sorry, but if you want to do this 'graphically'... why not just go to > Configure your computer? :)

The end result is the same, the difference is you choose to navigate through the kmenu & sub menus :D