Suspend To Disk in Mandriva 2007.1 Spring

sglafata

I seem to be experiencing a problem on my son's computer with Suspend To Disk. Suspend To Ram seems to work fine.

After long periods of inactivity, the computer enters Suspend To Disk and is unable to wake. The mouse and keyboard are not functional; the monitor remains black. However, I am able to SSH into the box and access everything. But if I want to do anything physically on the box, I have to reboot it from within SSH (for a clean reboot) or hard boot it by holding the Power button in.

The motherboard is a EPoX 4VKM3I with a P4 Coppermine CPU with multithreading; hence, it states I have 2 CPUs in it, even though I do not. The BIOS has the latest BIOS update. I have 1G RAM, 120G ATA HDD, DVD-RW, Princeton AGX900, PS2 Keyboard, USB Mouse.

Although it is a desktop, I like the powersaving capabilities of laptops, hence why I use KPowersave (especially since my son tends to play sporadically throughout the day). I also force him to log off using cron before my other cron jobs go off (in case this was also a source of the problem). No good.

Google searches for Suspend issues indicate files that I just do not seem to have in places where they should be. Not sure if this is correct for Mandriva. I will check on that and reinstall the necessary package if need be, but I thought I'd ask here in case people are experiencing the same thing.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Display quirk.

Try this:

ctrl-alt-F1

ctrl-alt-F7

when the system wakes up but the screen is blank - does that shift it?

In any case, please file a bug at http://qa.mandriva.com/ , set 'pm-utils' as the source package.

The 'missing files' issue is likely more simply a difference between how distributions handle suspending. We work together with Fedora using the pm-utils system, which is very good.

Well... it looks like I've solved this problem as well.

After spending the day googling all kinds of ACPI issues and trying various things, the computer finally spent an evening without locking upon Suspend. Actually, I was shocked to find that it worked.

Basically, I followed the steps on this site: gentoo-wiki.com. It is geared towards Gentoo Linux, but I walked through it using great care to transform in to my specific distro (Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Spring). The real test will come if it can go through a week without locking up on me.

Thanks for the help Adamw. I wonder if we need to put a dsdt.aml file on the /boot partition and add it to Mandriva's initrd process? I know that it would be different for everybody since everybody has different motherboards, but since the file is in /proc/acpi/, why can't we also copy it, or symlink it, to the /boot directory and add it to initrd?