PCI Wireless card does not work!

kamsmart

Hi all,

I installed Mandriva 2007 Free Spring DVD on my desktop (Opteron 170 processor, 3 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600 PCI card, PCI Wireless 802.11g card, etc). I have the 32-bit PC version of the system. I cannot get my wireless internet to be working.

When I go to install the network and choose wireless, I just don't seem to be able to find a good driver for the PCI wireless card.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kamsmart/Mandr...key=Wuf97bEHBzE

Someone please help. Please let me know if I need to give more details about the system...

Thanks!!

What is the model/brand of the card?

ndiswrapper is best initiated from the command line prior to using the gui. Also, here is a Linux driver called bcm43xx that Mandriva gives preference to, although I have never been able to get it to work with any wireless card. I prefer ndiswrapper. The problem is that if bcm43xx is loaded, it will prevent ndiswrapper from working. It needs to be unloaded and blacklisted so that it won't interfere with ndiswrapper.

When you get to this point,

please follow the instructions and start over.

Open a terminal, and do

mkdir temp

then

cd temp

then

wget -r -np http://195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

then

cd 195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

then

su

enter your password, then

cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware/

then

shutdown -r now

after your system reboots, use your 'configure network' gui again.

Would this work if I don't have internet on the Mandirva desktop yet ..

wget -r -np http://195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

The whole point is to get internet on the desktop, right? So, I would hope, it does work without the internet connection ..

Thanks for your help. I will try it out and will report the results soon.

Please let me know if I need to give more details about the system...

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but not having an internet connection this was one of those details. :)

I thought you had a wired connection? Sorry!

I'm not really (legally) allowed to attach it to a public post, but if you are having problems... would you like me to pm you a tarball of the firmware?

I've attached a tarball to a pm for you to use. Place it in your /home/user-name/ directory.

Open a terminal, and do

tar -xzvf acx111_1.2.1.34.tar.gz

then

cd acx111_1.2.1.34

then

su

enter your password, then

cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware/

then

shutdown -r now

after your system reboots, use your 'configure network' gui again.

If your network connection is ok, you can remove the acx111_1.2.1.34 directory from your /home/user-name/ directory.

Let us know if this works out ok for you?

I will let you know what happens with the install. Thank you so much for your help.

In the meantime while we were still trying to resolve the issue of wireless internet on my desktop, I went ahead and tried Ubuntu on my desktop. I specified to the installer to use the free space on the mandriva install, and when the system rebooted, it reported some error in the GRUB loader. So, neither did Ubuntu work properly nor the older Mandriva install on my desktop. I reinstalled Ubuntu and I am planning to reinstalling Mandriva on it.

I will let you know about the results.

Thanks!!

I installed the firmware as you instructed here, and now, when I try to configure the wireless network, it shows my Texas Instruments PCI Wireless card, and then, it seems to see the appropriate firmware. Then, a dialog box appears saying: "Scanning network", and then the window appears which is captured in this photo:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kamsmart/Mandr...irelessInternet

The machine hangs after this, and I have to hit the power button. Any clue as to what is going on??

Thanks for your help!

See the message in the terminal:

[root@localhost acx111_1.2.1.34]# cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware

cp: setting attributes for `/lib/firmware/tiacx111': Operation not supported

cp: setting attributes for `/lib/firmware/tiacx111c16': Operation not supported

cp: setting attributes for `/lib/firmware/tiacx111c17': Operation not supported

cp: setting attributes for `/lib/firmware/tiacx111r16': Operation not supported

cp: setting attributes for `/lib/firmware/tiacx111r17': Operation not supported

[root@localhost acx111_1.2.1.34]#

Does this mean that the copy was not correctly performed? I checked the sizes of the files, and they matches exactly. Is the "attributes" of these files causing the problem of the machine haning up?

I checked the sizes of the files, and they matches exactly.

Are you saying that the original files you copied, are the same size as the files now in /lib/firmware/ ?

If they are the same size, the errors 'shouldn't' be a problem? The errors you are getting have already been reported in both Bug-coreutils, and Mandriva Bugzilla. I haven't had these errors, but I'm still using 2007.

So are the files the same size?

Is your router broadcasting an SSID?

What, if any encryption are you using?

I meant, the file that were copied in /lib/firmware were of the same size as those which resulted from untarring the tar ball that you gave to me (despite me getting the error that I attached in the last post (referring to the "message in the terminal").

My Wireless router has a wireless Internet called "Kahaf Network". Please see the photos for the properties of the network:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kamsmart/Mandr...irelessInternet

I am using 128-bit WEP encryption.

Let me know if I have answered your questions. Thank you so much for helping me out!

Regards!