can't remaster

d-borowski

hey, how you doin'!!

i wanna create a remastered MCN from one of my HD installations (with lots of software added, kernel updated to -14 and many cosmetic customizations), but mklivecd (version 0.5.11-20060911) always gives me this message and doesn't work:

Creating initrd:								   [ 95.51% 00:00:03/00:00:03]sh: line 1:  5436 Broken pipe			 /bin/zcat //tmp/initrd.gz 2>/dev/null]
  5437 Segmentation fault	  | /bin/cpio -t >&/dev/null

would there be an easy way to work that out?

The error is not critical:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=315865

Also read the above link for remaster questions/problems. In particular avoiding automatic updates.

1. What is your _exact_ built command (mklivecd ...)

2. What is it that does not work, please be as specific as possible

3. Which packages (list all here) and how did you update?

4. What is your exact kernel version, give the output of 'uname -r'

howdy, chris!

1. What is your _exact_ built command (mklivecd ...):

mklivecd --nodir ^/root/temp,^/root/tmp,^/mnt,^/tmp,^/root/temp/livecd,^/root/livecd_iso --root / --workdir /root/temp/livecd --nofile ^/etc/X11/xorg.conf,^/etc/X11/XF86Config,^/etc/modprobe.conf,^/etc/modprobe.preload,^/etc/fstab --bootopt splash=silent --bootimg boot.lss --bootloader=grub /root/livecd_iso/myremaster.iso

2. What is it that does not work, please be as specific as possible

there was a kernel panic when i booted the one dvd i was able to burn, but it could have been a burning problem, so i'm now trying once again to create an iso using the command above... i'll see if it works this time...

what do you think of the command above?

3. Which packages (list all here) and how did you update?

openoffice, wmware player, wine, kaffeine, tvtime, xdtv, ardour, firefox, firestarter, java 6, ktorrent, new icons and kde styles, pt_BR language, etc,

updated using mandriva control center with all official updates and distriburion sources added.

4. What is your exact kernel version, give the output of 'uname -r':

2.6.17-14mdv

Edited by d-borowski

Did you read the link I gave? Don't run the official updates! It will pull in packages (initscripts etc) that will break the remaster thing.

You built command is much too complicated. :P

--nofile ^/etc/X11/xorg.conf,^/etc/X11/XF86Config,^/etc/modprobe.conf,^/etc/modprobe.preload,^/etc/fstab

You don't need this. They are excluded by default.

^/mnt,^/tmp, --> are also excluded by default

--root /

--> you don't need this. It is the default.

--workdir /root/temp/livecd

--> don't use this. Just use the default.

General advice: don't complicate simple things :D

--bootloader=grub

This line tells me that you don't use MCNLive. Or not the mklivecd from MCNLive.

This option does not exist in MCNLive, and you will get an error if you use it.

Whre did you get the idea for this option?

--bootimg boot.lss

what is this?

Edited by chris:b

yeah, it sure is unnecessarily complicated...

but, as you said, that was not a critical error, and amazingly it went ok this time! i haven't tried installing the new dvd yet, but it loaded and ran quite smoothly!

this time, besides using a better dvd medium and burning with the right speed, i installed the package http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mcnl/sy...2007.1.i586.rpm before running mklivecd. (does this make a difference? i have no idea what it is, after all i'm just an average linux user having fun in my vacations...)

that complicated command is from http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/RemasterLiveCD.

i have no idea what "bootimg=boot.lss" is...

it's funny. when i tried to use the defaults (no "--workdir" line) , there was a chmod 644 thing fatal error related to tmp directory, i think...

:thumbs:

MCNLive uses different mklivecd scripts. Your complicated command that you found elsewhere was not ok.

The updated syslinux package is useful when you use Toronto as base. (not with Delft). Which version do you use?

syslinux (=isolinux) is the bootloader on the CD and the usb stick :-)

The default workdir is /tmp, take a look at it. It is the dir where the build process takes place. In case of a failed mklivecd process, it is not cleaned. Take a look, you will find dirs: mklivecd.xxxx, just delete them.

The same for any custom workdirs.

Before you start the mklivecd command, perform a df command, to see how big your installed system is. And clean any old remaster isos.

Also, you don't need to place everything under /root. Let root alone (and never work as root graphically logged in), but clean it up if you used it beforehand.

You log in as user, open a terminal, type: su

And with Toronto as base, the mklivecd command is simple:

mklivecd remaster.iso

(with Delft you need to specify the isolinux boot files, it is explained on Delft when you clickup a browser, How To)

The updated syslinux package is useful when you use Toronto as base. (not with Delft). Which version do you use?

it's toronto i'm using now.

The default workdir is /tmp, take a look at it. It is the dir where the build process takes place. In case of a failed mklivecd process, it is not cleaned. Take a look, you will find dirs: mklivecd.xxxx, just delete them.

Before you start the mklivecd command, perform a df command, to see how big your installed system is. And clean any old remaster isos.

actually, i did clean the tmp folder, and i had more than 5 GB free space. isn't this enough for a 1.7 GB iso?

simple "mklivecd remaster.iso" gave that "unable to chmod 644" fatal error.

You final iso is 1,7 GB big?

Then your installed system occupies more than 5 GB ( the result of 'df' is ??)

For the build process you need a lot of free space, I am not sure how much. At least 2 times the size of the final iso.

unable to chmod 644" fatal error

I never saw this error. Does it say more than that? At which stage of the build process?

Would be interesting to find out what is going wrong ...

Maybe the /tmp dir has a quota -- I am not sure.

PS: just saw that you edited the sub title of this topic. lol, d: - I don't think that you are a clumsy linux user. You are having fun with experimenting and discover all the nice things you can do on a linux system.

Building complete live systems is one of the features you can't do with any MS Windows OS (you can build a sort of Live CD, but it has nothing useful included, and the features are VERY limited, and you are not allowed to use it on any computer other than where you built it)

I never saw this error. Does it say more than that? At which stage of the build process?

here's it:

# mklivecd toronto180707.iso
mklivecd, version 0.5.11-20060911, [url="http://livecd.berlios.de/"]http://livecd.berlios.de/[/url]
Copyright © 2002-2004, Jaco Greeff <jaco@puxedo.org>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Creating initrd:								   [ 95.51% 00:00:04/00:00:04]sh		   : line 1:  3649 Broken pipe			 /bin/zcat //tmp/initrd.gz 2>/dev/null]
  3650 Segmentation fault	  | /bin/cpio -t >&/dev/null
bootsplash not found in //tmp/initrd.gz
ln: creating symbolic link `./current' to `/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/current': F		   ile exists
ln: creating symbolic link `./current' to `/usr/share/bootsplash/current': File			exists
											   [100.00% 00:00:23/00:00:23]
running: chkconfig --add harddrake with root /
Setting filesystem parameters:					 [100.00% 00:07:16/00:07:16]
Creating compressed image:						 [100.00% 00:05:25/00:05:29]chmod: can   not access `/tmp/mklivecd.3489/livecd/livecd.sqfs': No such file or directory]
DIE
FATAL: Execution of 'chmod 644 /tmp/mklivecd.3489/livecd/livecd.sqfs' failed

i uninstalled a colins dictionary which i run through wine, so the resulting iso this time was 1.1GB.

i managed to build it using:

mklivecd --nodir ^/root/temp,^/root/tmp,^/mnt,^/tmp,^/root/temp/livecd,^/root/livecd_iso --root / --workdir /root/temp/livecd --nofile ^/etc/X11/xorg.conf,^/etc/X11/XF86Config,^/etc/modprobe.conf,^/etc/modprobe.preload,^/etc/fstab --bootopt splash=silent --bootloader=grub /root/livecd_iso/toronto17072007.iso

apart from that "segmentation fault" non-critical message, there was no error, and the resulting dvd booted, ran and installed fine.

i know, as you said, there are many unecessary things in it, but because it worked before, i decided to use the same command to see if i would have any error this time...

having cleaned the tmp residues of last mklivecds, df gives me

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda3 8,6G 3,0G 5,6G 35% /

...I don't think that you are a clumsy linux user. You are having fun with experimenting and discover all the nice things you can do on a linux system.

thanks, chris!

i started using linux some three years ago (with kurumin), but never had time or chance to really learn linux in depth. however, it's my favourite hobby experimenting with it..

hope to learn more seriously in the future.

The weird thing is that it seems that the livecd.sqfs compressed image is being created, but

Creating compressed image:	 [100.00% 00:05:25/00:05:29]

5:29 minutes to create a 1,1 GB image? Seems a bit fast to me.

Got the impression that it stops after 5 minutes and does not store/save the image. The chmod error is: there is no livecd.sqfs file.

And because this happens only if your are using the default /tmp dir, there is something wrong or special with your /tmp dir.

Q: is your system installed on one / partition, or do you use some extra partitions?

Could you provide the result of:

ls -ld /tmp

Should like like this:

[chris@lenovo ~]$ ls -ld /tmp

drwxrwxrwt 28 root root 1024 Jul 18 18:12 /tmp/

[chris@lenovo ~]$

Q: is your system installed on one / partition, or do you use some extra partitions?

one / partition

Could you provide the result of: ls -ld /tmp

$ ls -ld /tmp

gives

drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 240 Jul 18 15:32 /tmp/

EDIT: sorry, i did the above in the new installation.

in the installation where i was doing the remaster (hda3), the result is this:

drwxrwxrwt 8 root root 200 Jul 18 20:55 /tmp/

what does it mean?

Edited by d-borowski

For me it means that everything is ok with your /tmp directory.

And I am running out of ideas :-(

It would be nice though to find out what goes wrong. I bet that you are not the only one.

And if we could find out, maybe I can find a way to prevent this from happen or enhance mklivecd to give an error message with some content.

I can remember that one of our team member once had this problem, turned out: it was a space issue.

But in your case?

Looks like we have to wait until the next one with the same issue shows up.

Luckily you can specify your personal built directory.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.