Double programs

willie

If I understand AdamW (Mandriva man) the 4 version is okay to use.

In another thread he explained the subject and he said it should not be a problem.

I have installed some such and certainly have had NO problems.

Cheers. John.

If I understand AdamW (Mandriva man) the 4 version is okay to use.

In another thread he explained the subject and he said it should not be a problem.

I have installed some such and certainly have had NO problems.

Cheers. John.

I think if you re-read Adam's comments, you'll see they relate to library packages. The version number 3.80.3 identifies the package mentioned here as a KDE4 package. It's probably best to make sure that the version is 3.5.6 before installing any KDE package in 2007.1. (Unless you actually want to try out KDE4).

Jim

Clearly enough kdepim-korn4 is part of KDE 4 alpha 2 which is the current KDE 4 version ( beta1 is supposed to be out in one week or so), and you got it from an unofficial repo you have enabled (not even Cooker).

In *some* distros (not all) you can have KDE 4 in parallel with KDE 3 (I do under Arch Linux), but you must be very careful- e.g. not using your normal KDE3 user account to log into KDE4 and vice versa.

KDE 4 is not terribly functional yet- loads of nasty bugs.

Clearly enough kdepim-korn4 is part of KDE 4 alpha 2 which is the current KDE 4 version ( beta1 is supposed to be out in one week or so), and you got it from an unofficial repo you have enabled (not even Cooker).

Noop it where the sources from MCNL on my laptop, on the other comp Mandy chooses the sources. Both give kdepim-korn4 as a choise.

If MCNL offers KDE4 apps in their main repo, then it's a very unwise choice...

Surely enough a lot of people want to use the new korn, or the new kget (with metalinks and bittorrrent support), or the new multimedia framework, or Amarok 2, or... but it's not there yet, and should be used only by software developers, and noone else.

The KDE4 alpha version is on the Mandriva 2007.1 official /contrib mirror. Not in main.

A user who has contrib enabled is seeing all these alpha packages.

Personally I find it confusing. But I would not want to live without packages from contrib :-)

If we get a buggy KDE4 beta (not as default, but as a choice) for 2008 on a standard urpmi source like contrib, I really hope that the packagers make it clear in the title of the package _and_ in the description what it is.

I don't understand what Willie means with MCNL, mandrivaclub.nl ? There are no KDE4 packages in the specific MCNL repos.

Edited by chris:b