Tremulous and openGL

malfist

Hello, I just made the jump from ubuntu to madriva (because a mess-up in my partition table and I lost my install CD for Ubuntu) and I'm trying to run Tremulous. It's not in the repositories for Mandriva but I found the sh for the installation on the website. I installed it but it doesn't put an item in the menu and it wont run. It asks for OpenGL. I've installed the gstreamer for OpenGL but that doesn't seem to do the trick. In ubuntu I installed openGL with the Nvedia(sp?) through automatix and I was wondering if there is anything like that for Mandriva?

You need the video card driver for your video card. If it's nvidia then you need the nvidia driver. It's in the non-free repo of Mandriva. Add it to your sources then install the kernel-source-stripped matching to your kernel and dkms-nvidia and the matching nvidia-driver.

You can add the repos with the Mandriva control center on the packaging tab. Add the Distribution sources that will add them too. Then use the software installer GUI.

You need to set up your repos as dexter11 has already noted. I would also suggest using the Easy-Urpmi linked at the top of this page to set them up. Then you will find Tremulous in the repos, and you can install it with your gui software installer.

I set up the repo's as soon as I started but urpmi didn't find a tremoulos. I had to reinstalled everything because Vista crapped that partition tables (Vista sucks) and this time there wasn't an error when adding the repos so, I'll look again. Any word on something like automatix for Madriva? Automatix installes stuff and sets it up for you with one click (really nice) it does drivers, deluge, flash plugin to firefox, Firefox 2, beryl, Java 6 (something I need, I'm a Java programmer), and all kinds of crap that may or may not be in the standarded repos for ubuntu. I've used ubuntu for 3 years and really like it but I decided to change (and didn't have the ubuntu CD) and slackware wasn't nice to me :P and couldn't find my Fendora CD's and mandriva was the next choice. It looks really nice so far.

Does it come with the mp3 codecs or do I need to install them too?

Malfist

I set up the repo's as soon as I started but urpmi didn't find a tremoulos.
It's tremulous. Tremulous-1.1.0-3mdv2007.1 and tremulos-maps-1.1.0-3mdv2007.1 are in contrib_release.
I had to reinstalled everything because Vista crapped that partition tables (Vista sucks) and this time there wasn't an error when adding the repos so, I'll look again. Any word on something like automatix for Madriva? Automatix installes stuff and sets it up for you with one click (really nice) it does drivers, deluge, flash plugin to firefox, Firefox 2, beryl, Java 6 (something I need, I'm a Java programmer), and all kinds of crap that may or may not be in the standarded repos for ubuntu. I've used ubuntu for 3 years and really like it but I decided to change (and didn't have the ubuntu CD) and slackware wasn't nice to me :P and couldn't find my Fendora CD's and mandriva was the next choice. It looks really nice so far.

Does it come with the mp3 codecs or do I need to install them too?

Malfist

Mandriva doesn't have Automatix. You have to install everything from the repos by the package manager. There are Flash and Java packages in the non-free repo. Though I'm not sure if JDK is available or just JRE.

Mandriva can ply mp3s out of the box though if you want to encode mp3s you need the lame codecs from the plf repos.

I don't really know which driver is the best for your card try the latest first 1-97something IIRC.

Mandriva has huge repos. What can you do is pretty much depends on which repos did you gave to your sources.

Instructions on configuring repositories and installing software in Mandriva:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...moving_software

Particular points of interest:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...ndidate_updates

Everything discussed so far in this thread is available in the repositories you will get by following the above instructions.

Tremulous is in package 'tremulous'.

For the NVIDIA driver you'll be wanting the 97xx packages, but what you should do is simply re-run the graphics card configuration program after setting up the repositories as instructed on that page. Re-select your graphics card and it will ask you whether you want to use the proprietary drivers. Say yes. Then just reboot or restart X and it should be good.

Deluge is in package 'deluge'. I'm the maintainer for the package, actually. I would advise you set up the /backports repositories (as explained in one of the links I put above) and install deluge from that repository, as I always make sure the latest version is available in /backports, and recent versions have lots of useful improvements from the version that was current when 2007 Spring came out.

Flash plugin is in the package 'flash-player-plugin'.

Firefox 2 comes pre-installed with Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring, if that's the version you're using.

The easiest way to enable Beryl is to use the Mandriva 3D desktop configuration tool, which you can find in the control center. Just run it and use the extended options (hit the drop-down arrow, the choice is hidden at first) to switch between Compiz and Beryl.

The following Sun Java packages are available in the repositories:

java-1.5.0-sun

java-1.5.0-sun-alsa

java-1.5.0-sun-demo

java-1.5.0-sun-devel

java-1.5.0-sun-fonts

java-1.5.0-sun-jdbc

java-1.5.0-sun-plugin

java-1.5.0-sun-src

java-1.6.0-sun

java-1.6.0-sun-alsa

java-1.6.0-sun-demo

java-1.6.0-sun-devel

java-1.6.0-sun-fonts

java-1.6.0-sun-jdbc

java-1.6.0-sun-plugin

java-1.6.0-sun-src

as you're a programmer I guess you'll know which of those you need :)