Desktop Icons all gone!

Rama Murthy

Hi,

TOTEM Movie player was starting every time with my GNOME session. Hence, I edited /root/.gnome2/session file and removed all the entries of "TOTEM" in that.

When I rebooted my PC, All the desktop icons are gone. Including my wallpaper. Is there any way I can restore them?? When I login as any other user other than root, I am able to see all the icons. Please help me restore my Icons...

Thank you for all your help...

Do you have the old session file? Seems like you removed something you shouldn't have removed. Namely gnome-desktop or whatever it's called there.

If you still have the old file then just copy it back then post the contents of that file here. Maybe someone will know what you really should remove from that file.

Actually, I did all this by logging in as root. My Root session's session file is spoiled now.

Is there any way in which I can copy session files of my other user sessions?

I have actually logged in as a non-root user and searched for .gnome2 folder. I did not find it anywhere. If I find it, I can replace my Root's session file with the other user's session file.

Will this work out?

You can try that too (copying session files). Or you can try to take the session file out of the gnome package. The package manager displays the list of files in a a package you can even search for a file in the package manager. If you've found your session file, download that package manually, do not install it, and simply open it with mc (midnight commander) and copy your session file wherever you want.

Or you can wait until a Gnome user here copies his\her session file here.

And never-ever login as root.

Hi Thank you for the solution. I will try searching for the one in package manager.

This file is located in /root/.gnome2

so.. will other user files will be like /rama/.gnome2 ?

I tried searching for this file. No luck.

Also, I always login as root as I will have freedom to change something. Why should'nt we login as root? I see KDE too warning me..

Because you have the freedom to break your system too. Plus in that case every program you launch is run with root privileges and if any of them has a bug or a sec hole it can have a worse effect on your system.

Unfortunately I'm not a gnome user so someone else should help you. If you can't find that file that could be that maybe it's auto generated and that's why it's not in the package. But since I don't use gnome some else should confirm this.

edit: After searching for session in the package manager I found the gnome-session package. It has a few executable files (the files in the /usr/bin directory) you can take a closer look at them.

Edited by dexter11