help! [solved]

mpcrsc

i hope this is the right forum...

i have an acer aspire 5100 with ati radeon xpress 1100 graphics. i was in the mandriva contol panel looking at settings and changed a setting (enable translucency). when i logged out and logged back in, my screen was a garbled mess! how can i boot into mandriva and change my settings back so that i can get a viewable picture?

also, how do i edit the grub so that my system boots directyl to windows?

Edited by arctic
added subtitle

Hello mpcrsc.

Can't offer help to your problem but I can make a VERY important suggestion to you.

Please don't use post titles such as Help.

You should not be surprised that a lot of members would look right past such titles, rightfully believing they have better things to do with their time, namely to look into posts that describe a lead-in into a problem.

I only looked in to this post out of curiosity since I have lots of time to spare.

My post is not to take you to task or castigate you but simply help you to help yourself better.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello mpcrsc.

Can't offer help to your problem but I can make a VERY important suggestion to you.

Please don't use post titles such as Help.

You should not be surprised that a lot of members would look right past such titles, rightfully believing they have better things to do with their time, namely to look into posts that describe a lead-in into a problem.

I only looked in to this post out of curiosity since I have lots of time to spare.

My post is not to take you to task or castigate you but simply help you to help yourself better.

Cheers. John.

thanks for the info. i understand what you are stating and only used that as a means to hopefully have someone to look. i have a totally unusable display right now because of the setting i changed. i can view windows just fine, but not linux

Hi pcrsc.

You can boot into safe mod, type "drakconf" and hit enter - then just find what you need to change. Or, if you are saying you screwed graphics driver, type "drakx11".

thanks demon--u just don't know how close i was to trashing my computer and never having anything else to do with linux! (and i really mean that) your suggestion saved my day (and computer)

MUCH THANKS

also, how do i edit the grub so that my system boots directyl to windows?

Open Mandriva Control Center, choose boot -> Set up how system boots.

You'll find what you're looking for in there.