Cannot install Mandriva 2007.1 [solved]

Babydoc

InstallingMandriva Mandriva 2007.1 free hangs on a black screen when I use graphical mode. In text mode it stops with the message 'ACPI: assume root bridge [\_SB_PCI0] bus is 0' or with 'Probing PCI hardware' with options 'acpi=off' or acpi='ht'.

I use the 32-bit version, checksums are OK (downloading en burning).

Indeed: the 2007.0 CDrom has the same problem.

A kernel issu?

Hardware: Hp Compaq dc 7700p Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @1,86 Hz.

Intel Q965/Q963 Express chipset family.

OpenSuse 10.2 installs without problems...

Mandriva 2007 uses a much earlier kernel than 2007.1 Spring so I feel it is unlikely to be a kernel problem.

Have you examined the 2007.1-Spring Errata to see if there is any reference to the kind of problem you are having ???. If it is there then it will suggest a solution.

Try a reboot and during the Grub boot up hit the e key before the time out occurs and try removing noapic, nolapic and acpi=off. Leave splashscreen=silent.

See if that works for you.

If it does then when you finally get into mandriva then open MCC select boot and so on and make sure to set the same thing in there, that way each time you reboot then you won't have to do this each time.

Cheers. John.

Not to forget to give you a huge welcome to MUB.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi,

I tried to do as you suggest, as far as I understand what you mean. Here's what I did:

- I insert DVD MDV 2007.1.

-reboot

-a bootloader comes up (is this the GRUB you mean?) with the suggestions to start from harddisk, install Mandriva, rescue the system and do a memory test.

- I choose 'Install Mandriva'

-I choose F3

- there is a line with options but there's no noapic, nolapic or acpi=off option, only splashscreen=silent (and a few others)

- When I choose F6, there are several options, I tried them all, but nothing works...

So, can you explain when exactly to hit the e-key (I did several times during the bootloader startup, but nothing happens)?

And then from where to remove the noapic, nolapic and acpi=off options?

Tx

Oh Yes,

I can't find nothing related in the Mandriva errata list.

Edited by Babydoc

What you did seems to follow what I suggested.

When you insert the DVD you are not booting off Grub, you are booting off the DVD.

Grub is the bootloader which is installed during the OS installing process.

It seems like you have to hope that another member here at MUB may be able to help you with this one.

Good luck and cheers. John.

Please check in your BIOS and see if you can turn "plug and play" off.

To get into the BIOS, at boot time you have to hit a key or combination of keys. Generally, the boot up messages are hidden behind a splash screen. F1, Delete, or Ctrl-Alt-F1 are all possible combinations for getting into your computer's BIOS.

Do you know what BIOS you have? It should say at the top of the screen when you are in the BIOS. Usually, though, the PnP setting (as it's often called) is usually in the regular settings or possibly advanced chipset settings...it really depends on your BIOS.

It's a HP minitower pc. It uses a specific HP BIOS. Version= 786E1 v.0105.

Maybe it's relevant to mention the system is based on Intel's VPro technology???

Nowhere in the menu's I can find something near PnP OS.

In the HP supportpages I can find that some BIOS have a 'I/O APIC mode' which 'for some OS (e.g. Unix) this has to be disabled' but unfortunately mine hasn't. So I can't try this.

As I mentioned before, strangely enough OpenSUSE 10.2 installs without problems: what's different that MDV has a problem installing??

• 1 month later...

Could be the dual core problem that I had on my Toshiba laptop when trying Mandriva 2007.0 a while back. Disable the second core in the BIOS, and then try and boot the CD. What happens then?

It's not clear to me whether you've tried this, but the first thing you usually try when the installation hangs is to install passing certain kernel parameters. Try doing the installation again, hit F3 I believe to get to a boot prompt and type:

linux noapic, nolapic, acpi=off

Your error messages point to a problem with acpi and the above is the usually suggested workaround.

Edited by pmpatrick