read a good book lately? [solved]

mpcrsc

hello.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good book about linux. i have been using mandriva for about a week now, and i do like what it has to offer. the problem is i really don't understand anything under-the-hood. i think of everything concerning mandriva within a "windows bubble" and it confuses me all the more.

on a totally unrelated question, what is the difference between the live cd version and the dvd version of mandriva spring 2007.1?

thanks.

Edited by mpcrsc

The Live CD allows you to test the system out before installing it. It gives you a good idea of what will work before you actually install. Then you can install directly from the CD, but packages are limited because of what you can get on the CD. It may get the rest of the packages from downloading from the internet, or do a smaller install, meaning you can then download any other packages you need later.

The DVD has a bigger set of packages on the disk, but it is not a Live CD. Only installation can be performed from it. There are also CD sets that can be used if you don't have a DVD drive (rare these days, but still possible on older systems). These can then be used, and work in the same way as the DVD.

As for the book, I bought "Linux in a Nutshell" which is quite good, but you can also get other books which are more aimed at your needs and specific for a particular distro. I have hardly read it in fact, and obtained all my knowledge from here, and the rest of the internet.

Greg and dani, thanks also from me. I didn't know those sites, I'm sure I'm going to find them very useful. After I go through some of the stuff I'll probably want to get my hands dirty and try some of the things, and then after I break it down I'll run back and come looking for you to help me. :)