9.1 Fresh Install

kshuff

Ok, got Mandrake 9.1 and went to upgrade my 9.0 install, but that didn't go so well. I'm now doing a fresh install of 9.1 but ran into a problem. All the packages I select install but (2), I go on the error, but at the end of the installation I get "ldconfig failed". This puts me back into the package installation menu. If I go into the individual package selection and deselect the packages that are not installing correctly, I still get "ldconfig failed". I seem to be stuck in a loop, how do I get out of it to finish the installation?? The packages failing to install are:

texinfo-4.3-3mdk.i586 and

screen-3.9.13-2mdk.i586

Probably nothing I really need, I just want to be able to complete the installation without getting that ldconfig error, it won't let me past that point.

The upgrading option seems to be causing havov everywhere.

I looked up what ldconfig is:

Ldconfig is a basic system program which determines run-time link bindings between ld.so and shared libraries. Ldconfig scans a running system and sets up the symbolic links that are used to load shared libraries properly. It also creates a cache (/etc/ld.so.cache) which speeds the loading of programs which use shared libraries.

which makes me wonder if you emptied/reformatted your partition(s) before the re-install? Maybe something is getting confused.

If so, I would try letting it install whatever it wants first, and then go back to install / remove other apps later.

Also - you anywhere near Schuylkill County?

The upgrading option seems to be causing havov everywhere.

I looked up what ldconfig is:

Ldconfig is a basic system program which determines run-time link bindings between ld.so and shared libraries. Ldconfig scans a running system and sets up the symbolic links that are used to load shared libraries properly. It also creates a cache (/etc/ld.so.cache) which speeds the loading of programs which use shared libraries.

which makes me wonder if you emptied/reformatted your partition(s) before the re-install? Maybe something is getting confused.

If so, I would try letting it install whatever it wants first, and then go back to install / remove other apps later.

Also - you anywhere near Schuylkill County?

Actually, when I did the fresh install I erased the entire disk and repartitioned, so that should have taken care of any problems.

Actually, I'm to the east of Schuylkill, in Lehigh county, Allentown to be exact :D

Yes, you would think that should have taken care of the problem.

Wish I could help further... Maybe you should list your hardware in case someone else would recognize any possible problems. I'll keep an eye out for any solutions.

PS: Allentown is a nice place, and not too far away... I've been noticing there are quite of few Penn Stater's here now.

Yes, you would think that should have taken care of the problem.

Wish I could help further... Maybe you should list your hardware in case someone else would recognize any possible problems. I'll keep an eye out for any solutions.

PS: Allentown is a nice place, and not too far away... I've been noticing there are quite of few Penn Stater's here now.

I got the install to go through using a text install, everything went fine, configured the system, but upon reboot I get a kernel panic, the system hangs with the caps lock and scroll lock lights flashing. Locks up tight.

Sounds similar to a condition described in the errata. Check out this link re the kernel panic and the flashing lights:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/errata.php3

Also, if you have a functioning linux system somewhere, you might want to check the md5sums of the CDs by placing a CD in a drive, mounting the drive and running:

$ cat /dev/hdx | md5sum

Where 'x' corresponds to the device file for the drive(scdx if your running under scsi emulation). It takes a while to run but it will eventually give you the md5sum for the CD which you can check and verify against the published md5sum for the CD.

Sounds similar to a condition described in the errata. Check out this link re the kernel panic and the flashing lights:

I seen that in another post, just got the patch file. When I booted from the CD this time it said I had errors in my filesystems. I'm going to wipe the drive again and start over, I ran fsck to try to fix the problem but that just hosed everything, it wouldn't boot after that.

What does kernel panic have to do with running ldconfig ? The reason is elsewhere, in rpm dependency hell. Assuming, the CDs are not corrupted, its highly possible that some packages that should not have been installed are not there. So ldconfig is not finding libraries that it is expecting.

Also, if you have a functioning linux system somewhere, you might want to check the md5sums of the CDs by placing a CD in a drive, mounting the drive and running:

$ cat /dev/hdx | md5sum

Don't have any linux systems, but do have six SGI IRIX systems in the basement.

I did do yet another install and it went through, but I'm having the same stupid X problem I was having with 9.0 a month ago. KDE refuses to come up, all I get is text. Gnome comes up with no problems. I'm done pulling hair out over that. :x

I know your not gonna give in to the system now - you almost got it licked. Plus I am sure there are users here willing to pull their own hair to help solve this.

I looked back at your previous post and seen something about:

there is a warning about inconsistent panel vertical dimension: 768 and 767, another warning about cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer,

and this about your system:

The screen is driven by an ATI "Mobility M1" graphics chipset with 64-bit graphics accelerator, 8 MB of video SDRAM (synchronous DRAM), and runs on a 2X AGP (accelerated graphics port) bus

I was thinking most seem to know to turn off pnp in their bios, but I found other things that need attention in the bios that I had never bothered with before. From:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install.html

Shadow Video Bios = No

Just a wild guess, but maybe kde is acting finicky because of something like this?

I was thinking most seem to know to turn off pnp in their bios, but I found other things that need attention in the bios that I had never bothered with before. From:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install.html

Shadow Video Bios = No

Just a wild guess, but maybe kde is acting finicky because of something like this?

I'll give it a shot, couldn't hurt to try anything at this point, thanks.