nvidia 3D effects

wlake

Hello,

First I would like to say how wonderful MCN Live Toronto is. I have installed it in a hard disk installation to my USB external HD. The only thing I had to do was to edit the fstab and mtab files. I tried to install Mandriva but for some reason it does not like my laptop (HP DV6000) while it is no problem with MCN Live.

My question is Can I get 3D effects in MCN Live Toronto with my nvidia Geforce GO 7400 card if I install the nvidia drivers? Also since the nvidia drivers do not seem to be in the repository, can I install using a tar.gz file or some other way?

Thanks in advance.

wlake

hi wlake,

if you go to nvidia's website, you can choose to download drivers and then choose the linux drivers section. you will need the kernel-source in order to install this. you must also be in su mode.

i've never used MCN live, so i don't know if you'll be able to do this.

good luck,

jon

As MCNLive is fully compatible with Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring, you should be able to install the driver from the Mandriva repositories. Follow the instructions at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available to set up the Mandriva package repositories, then run the graphics card configuration tool, re-select your graphics card, and it should ask if you want to use the proprietary driver. Tell it you do.

I'm sure the MCNLive guys will correct me if anything special is needed for MCNLive, but I believe that should do it!

• 2 weeks later...

MCNLive -whatever version- don't include proprietary video drivers by default .

But you can install the drivers, running live or after installation.

MCC : enable the non-free sources - they are already pre-configured, but disabled.

Install the matching nvidia driver.

Run 'Configure Video".

Restart the xserver.

Thanks Chris,

I followed Adam's advice and got the necessary driver. I really like MCNLive Toronto. I installed it on my external USB HD. I was amazed that it was so easy to install when I only get the black screen when I try to install Mandrive from the Linux Format magazine DVD.

Regards,

wlake

Guest Jeroen

Chris,

Why don't you make two versions, one with propetiary software, and one which is completely free? This is a muckup. When I wanted to show it to my parents (Dell with NVidia), I just popped in the stick, and told 'em to hang on. But, then MCC said 3D acceleration was NOT possible. So, I downloaded the drivers, and showed it to my parents. They liked it, but they asked me, is it so difficult, that you have to enter these codes everytime? Luckily MCNLive includes a persistent mode, I told them. They now use it sometimes, when Windows crashes, or when they need help, if there is nobody to help them out.

Jeroen

Yeah, we could make two versions. Or better: someone could create a version with the closed source nvidia and ati drivers.

There are some reasons why I don't do it, though I am aware that this is a showstopper for people who want the 3D desktop with nvidia cards out of the box.

* Though I am not against closed stuff in user space/ on user level, for me personally it just does not feel ok to include propr. stuff when it comes to the kernel.

* Mandriva One includes these propr. drivers. Result: on a lot of systems people get what they call: a black screen :P

On a live system with automatic hardware detection, the xorg drivers are superior. MCNLive in this regard does a better job than One. Living without the 3D desktop is a price some people pay, but at least they get a good working GUI!

* Releasing two versions, for me personally, is too time consuming. I am glad when we can get one version working B)

Edited by chris:b

"Mandriva One includes these propr. drivers. Result: on a lot of systems people get what they call: a black screen

On a live system with automatic hardware detection, the xorg drivers are superior."

Well, it's not quite that cut and dried. For instance, the entire Radeon X1xxx series of cards does not work with the free ATI driver. They only work with the proprietary driver or (just barely) with vesa, which is not anyone's idea of a good time.

Guest Jeroen

You have a great point there. My system does NOT use propr. drivers, since I am against it. But, the reason for asking is already clear. I could look after it, after my vacantion (going to France for a week in about an hour). I don't promise anything, but for some users it would be great if there is something like that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.