.ps or .eps importing into documents

aRTee

I'm looking for a way to import .eps or .ps files into documents, in a way that will actually show the image in the document on the screen, before printing it (to a postscript file if need be).

What is important is that the vector graphics information is not lost, so importing it into the Gimp, which can be done (I used that) is not the right approach for me.

The imported image should show up on the screen (for instance, in a presentation), but also have the same quality as the original .ps when getting printed.

I know .eps can have a preview, but that preview cannot scale nicely, and I know that I can use pstoepsi to convert from ps to eps, so from here on I will only write .ps but also mean .eps.

There are some (non-free) programs that can convert .ps to wmf (windows vector graphics), which can be imported, viewed and altered in OOo.

I have looked at convertPS, pstoedit and ps2vector.

What other options are there?

Are there any OSS programs that import ps (or pdf) and show a decent, scalable preview (that doesn't get blocky)?

Are there any OSS programs that can do a conversion from .ps to a vector format which could then be imported into a document?

Not sure but check out image magic if you haven't, has many conversion tools and supports many image formats.

Also look at Latex which you can use eps as a graphic file, i don't know about a preview but you can just compile the doc and look at it, make changes and compile again.