Zaurus SL-5500 & Mandrake Linux 9.1

jlc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Z arrived today. I'm having a lot of trouble wih the directions for setting up a connection with linux. It's not one particualr thing, it's just that all the instructions I've found assume a Master's degree in CS with decades of experience.

Can someone explain the following in PLAIN ENGLISH?

1. How do I set up the desktop for a USB connection?

2. How do I set up the Z?

too pad you don't have a serial, i have an ipaq running familiar & opie that i connect to with a simple command over the serial connection.

but here's a question: did you check /dev to see if there are any USB (or sd) entries for it?

What version of MDK are you running? What are running on the Z? What instructions have you followed?

Sorry for all the questions but I cant remember how I got mine working but hopefully you will jog my memory and I might be able to help you out :wink:

Yes, I saw that page, but it does not tell me anything useful. I have done what that page said, but I have not accomplished anything at all. neither the computer or the zaurus can see the other.

I have a SL5500 running sharp ROM version 3.10

Unless I can get it to sync, I won't be able to install anything on it untill I get the time to recompile the kernal on my desktop so the card reader will work. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to spending 2-5 days fruitlessly trying to recompile a kernel that may or may not funciton at all......

I am planning on using kichen sync, but even there, I'm not sure what all I need to do.

Also, I have a WiFi card for the Z but all I can ever get it to do is say initializing, it won't ever make a solid connection. I can't tell you how frustrating that is. I have it set to non-specific essid and everything auto, and my router is set to provide all the tcp/ip info, yet it does not work.

First off you want to install kitchen sync, http://www.handhelds.org/~zecke/kitchensync.html it takes a while but I got it to run on 9.1 with no real problems, a few dependancies that were easily solved. Once running set up kitchen sync, you will need to select the Sharp ROM sync, I have not tried this as I use OZ so you might stop here :oops:

Plug in you Z, always plug in turned on, it tends to crash if you try and power whilst in the cradle. I found it helps to press the sync button on the cradle, it might open the port or something. Now ping the IP of your Z. If no luck run an ifconfig from the console, check you have usb0 interface up (I messed about in the MCC to bring this up at boot) If you can ping run kitchen sync and the message window should say something about a connection established, it should sync now. If you are having problems check /var/log/messages when you plug your Z into the cradle to make sure it is running with the right driver/device config.

It took a while of messing about but I have got it working. You can not install new apps to the Z from kitchen sync, but once you have a connection you can ftp into the Z and install the ipk's onto a card or RAM and install from there. I did find it easier to create an entry in the hosts file for 'Z', saves typing the IP address all the time.