Zaurus SL-5500 & Mandrake Linux 9.1

jlc

Cheers dude,

I tried Opie and it looked a whole lot better than the standard Sharp QT, but I kept having sync problems in Windows so went back to Sharp ROM. This kitchen sync looks promising, I will try and do my first bit of compiling :shock:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you jump into kitchensync - double check that it works with qpe - I've a horrible feeling that it might insist on opie - I'll ask on the mailing list

Multisync definately supports both - but as I say, I've no experience with this

Right I tried kitchen and almost got it installed, right up to the point of a hard drive failure. What a time to happen.

So in the meantime I am taking the chance to try 9.1 as well, should be back on the ball tomorrow and I will post any findings or problems :wink:

Well after one day messing about here's the lowdown:

I have installed MDK9.1 (went very well, all sorted and work are happy as the intranet is back up and running)

Finally got KitchenSync to compile and install.

Cant get the PC to see the PDA.

Everything looks ok, control panel claims there is a Sharp connected to the USB port. The Sharp says it has a connection via the USB. I have set up usb0 as an interface and during bootup is says it is running but in control panel and at a ifconfig -a command, nothing.

I will not be beaten!

OK then here is the news so far;

We have success, well partly success. I have managed to sync and first impressions are; damn that was fast.

It took a while but connecting through the USB cradle and sync'ing with KDE pim apps (sync address, calender and todo list not worked out if it will do email yet) works. The major problem was to get the usb to work as a network device so I could talk to the pda. I found http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over...-usb-howto.html this page first and it helped, but use that along with http://docs.zaurus.com/index.php?id=lc_mandrake this one to set up the connection. All the settings for Kitchen sync are on their site page http://www.handhelds.org/~zecke/kitchensync.html here.

The problem I cant figure out is how to keep the settings for usb0 as decribed in the second site, if any one can work this out great - let me know!

BTW: If your interested in the Zaurus, it is a wonderful little bit of kit. I had a couple of Clie's before and found them very handy, moving from Palm to Qtopia was a bit of a shock but if you install the OpenZaurus software you have a littl'Linux box. Some functions are not as great their Palm or WinCE partners but being Linux, apps are always being written and improved. The real selling point was in the UK the Zaurus has dropped in price, half the price of medium Ipaq and less than most Clies, you can even get them at Argos!

Yesterday, I installed multisync with the evolution and opie plugins. Since installing gentoo - I was quite shy about re-installing kitchensync because it required KDE (which I don't use) and I wasn't sure it was worth the effort of compiling KDE just for kitchensync. So I tried multisync. Here are my impressions:

1) Much easier and quicker to install than kitchensync

2) Much easier to figure out from scratch

3) Synchronises as well if not better than kitchensync with evolution

Two qualifiers - I haven't tried synchronising the calendar yet as I think I will have time zone problems that I'm not sure how to fix (pc = UTC ipaq = BST)

Also, I want to sync with Evolution - if you want to work with KDE apps, I think kitchensync is/will be your best(only?) option.

I've been using Kitchen for a couple of days now and all is well apart from one really anoying issue, syncing calander and to-do list. With contacts you get the option before one is overwritten or you can decide which one to use. With calander and to-do there is not the option, it will sync but if you changed mutiple records it can get confusing.

• 1 month later...

It looks like I'll be the proud owner of a sharp zaurus in about 30 minutes (you know ebay) and anyway, since this thread has been quiet while I was wondering what the final verdict is. Is it possible to use multisync with kde apps? will the zaurus work best with opie OZ or QT? ANy further discusion would be REALY appreciated.

Kitchensync is best for KDE PIM apps. Multisync is better if you want to sync to evolution. Nothing is perfect - ALWAYS backup your data.

If you wish to use opie on your zaurus you will need to install the open zaurus ROM and re-install your commercial apps.

Opie is nicer than qtopia, but (IMHO) not nicer enough to warrant the effort