Zaurus SL-5500 & Mandrake Linux 9.1

jlc

Ok,

I'm a pretty hardcore Linux user, so I decided I needed some sort of Palm device and found that Sharp made one running Linux. I thought Awesome, that's the one I'm getting!

But, I've never had a palm device before and don't know how they work. I know the software that came with it had an .exe file. Well, if I only use Linux that causes a little problem.

Does anyone know how I configure Mandrake 9.1 to see the usb Sharp Zaurus and sync up with it to install software and what not.

Thanks in advance, this is a subject I've never touched before.

BTW, I used to be a hardcore SuSE user. But MDk 9.1 caught my attention and got my buisness. I think I will have to buy the Power Pack!!!! I currently running the free download on three machines. One of them I'm trying to sync right now is a Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop. If there is any other info I can pass out, let me know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have read the box before you bought it.

I had one in my hand, and put it down because I couldn't believe that a linux device had ONLY Windows software for PC synchronization.

Maybe you can write your own conduit. Or hold out for a 3rd party linux client. Or check the return policy on your Zaurus (my personal recommendation. I wouldn't give them a dime for that ill-conceived device)

I have a colleague who has this device, he's linux only, and no problems.

(Using mdk since I gave him the discs, not sure if he moved to 9.1 but with 9.0 all was fine)

You don't get the linux software since it is normally already there.

The darn thing can do anything,....

coolest thing: opened a prompt,... got a full command line interface: running bash. And I was directly root... ;)

If you want, I can ask him what he uses or how.

Or maybe I should shut up and offer you 100$ for the thing... ;)

I would love to figure out how to sink it, I know that you can becaue the zaurus site has a ROM upload with patches for Linux, I just have to figure out what software does it.

Sorry, can't sell it for $100 :evil:

Ok, here's some info from this colleague:

There are tools for synching with Notes, and also with the KOrganizer.

Of course it is not good to use the Software shiped with the Zaurus.

But also the Zaurus operating system itself is shit :)

As I am using OpenZaurus as Operating System, there is a great Mailing

list about such things... www.openzaurus.org

And, YES, it can do FTP and it can also do VNC!!!

So there you go, you can take another OS and stick it on, control your pc if you have a wireless network etcetc...

And I realise you're not going to pass it to me for 100$, but then again, too bad ;)

edit:

ps welcome as a new mdk user!

aRTee,

So your saying instead of using what came with it. You prefer OpenZaurus? My main problem currently is how do I get my Mandrake box to see Zaurus through the USB dock and transfer software?

If I use OZ and don't care for it, how do I get the original Zaurus back. Do I just use one of the ROM updates?

I was just jokeing about the money!!

How do I move the files?

Make sure your files are in the root directory of your flash card. For example, if you copied the files to your Zaurus they will be in /mnt/cf/Documents/Applications/octet-stream. They should be moved to /mnt/cf (use the file manager for this or use the console).

I don't see a file manager? This doesn't look like Linux?

aRTee,

So your saying instead of using what came with it.  You prefer OpenZaurus?

No I don't have one. I just copy pasted what my colleague mailed me in response..

Enjoy your portable linux device!

(I'm waiting for the one with the vga resolution screen to become available... and affordable.. :) )

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this one back up :wink:

Has anyone had any luck with the Zaurus and Mandrake, I installed Qtopia Desktop and can connect to the PDA but Qtopia keeps crashing and wont keep the settings, also what can I do with the information once its in Qtopia. It all seems a bit werid!

I have opie (compatible with the Zaurus qpe software) installed on my compaq ipaq and I used to use qtopiadesktop to sync.

This used to work, but apparently recent releases of it are buggy and don't work as well as previous releases.

You have two other options

1) Kitchen sync - wil lsync with KDE pim software and/or evolution. Is a pig to install (you have to compile from source and there are a few dependencies), but it is useable - better that qtopiadeskop IMHO

2) Multisync - never tried this myself, but it has plugins for both evolution and qpe/opie. Apparently it is useable. You may need to get the CVS version in order to get the opie/qpe plugin - I could never find it among thenormal downloads. That said, I haven't looked for a little while