3D acceleration on ATI Radeon X1550

Guest MABUS

Guest MABUS

Hi, I am a new member of this forum, and I wish to participate here as much as I am participating on other forums.

Now, I have been using Mandriva Linux 2.007.1 for almost 2 months now, and everything seems to run smoothly until I switched video cards. I used to have nvidia 7100GS , and I got all 3d desktop working . Now, my video card broke, so I got a new one which is this ATI X1550.

I was able to download drivers from PLF, and also from ati's main website, but still I am having problems on how to get 3D destkop to work. I just want my beryl back , and I can't get that without 3D acceleration enabled. From other forums that I am participating in, there are also some people who have the same problem as what I had.

So anyway. What happened is that when I choose a driver for my ati x1550, I cannot find it on the list, however what I found was radeon ati x1300-x1950 (this is also the one that I am currently using right now). When I choose that driver, it will prompt a message that there is a proprietary driver , and if I want to use it. So I click on yes, and no errors come out. There will then be a menu where in I can check to enable 3D and even translucency. The problem now is when I restart, all I get is a black screen (this is after loading the GUI). I am sure that I got into KDE cause I typed in my username and password (without seeing anything on the screen) , and I hear the kde bootup sound.

I have been trying the other drivers that you can download from their site, but none really work. So what I do when I get a black screen is I just go to the command line , revert xorg.conf and reboot. It does work, but I do not have the 3d acceleration enable.

I think that gave enough description on my problem here. So if any of you guys have some tips on how I can solve this, please share you ideas.

THANKS

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest MABUS

First an foremost, I'd like to apologize for where this post is located. I made a mistake, this should have been in the software form, not hardware. I would also appreciate it if the moderators will move this post to it's appropriate location.

Secondly, thanks for the reply, however I have already read those discussions from that forum. I am a member of thatt forum as well. To those who have any ideas, please share them.

Thanks

First an foremost, I'd like to apologize for where this post is located. I made a mistake, this should have been in the software form, not hardware. I would also appreciate it if the moderators will move this post to it's appropriate location.

We discuss hardware drivers in Hardware not Software - so it's in the correct forum. :)