fx5200 card [solved]

mpcrsc

hello.

i am so very new to this--as i installed the os just yesterday. all has been well so far except for trying to get some drivers for the fx5200 videocard. can anyone offer some help as to what i need to do to install the drivers and to get them to work? any and all help is welcome. as i stated, i just started using mandriva yesterday, so i am not up to the jargon yet--give me some time!

Edited by mpcrsc

Welcome to MUB.

When you say fx520 do you mean the Nvidia fx520? Also could you please elaborate on what you want to do with the drivers? Then we can perhaps point you in the right direction.

yes, nvidia fx 5200 videocard. as far as what i want to do with the drivers, (not trying to be sarcastict, but) i want them to work! i downloaded a driver from nvidia , Linux Display Driver - x86, Version: 100.14.11, Release Date: June 21, 2007, and i had no success trying to install the driver.

all has been well so far except for trying to get some drivers for the fx5200 videocard. can anyone offer some help as to what i need to do to install the drivers and to get them to work?

I believe that you will find it easier to install your driver from the repos.

If you haven't already done so, please read and set up urpmi using the instructions to set up easyurpmi in this thread: Software installation

Please be sure to include the PLF-free and PLF-nonfree repos.

Then in a terminal as root do

urpmi dkms-nvidia

this will install the driver and any depends you need.

Edited by Greg2

I believe that you will find it easier to install your driver from the repos.

If you haven't already done so, please read and set up urpmi using the instructions to set up easyurpmi in this thread: Software installation

Please be sure to include the PLF-free and PLF-nonfree repos.

Then in a terminal as root do

urpmi dkms-nvidia

this will install the driver and any depends you need.

thanks

hey daniewicz & greg2, i want to thank you for your help--the links and advice. it seems that the necessary drivers for my card were already installed. although i didn't exactly know what i was doing terminology wise, i was in deed doing the right thing. this morning i went to my rig and went: system>administration>configure your computer. from the control center (software management already highlighted), i clicked on 'look at installable software and install software packages.' from there, i selected system, then kernel and hardware. lo and behold, i see the nvidia drivers selected as installed. prior to sending the initial post, i did a system update (114 total updates were involved) and i shut the system down. so i had no idea that the drivers were included in the update and installed. had i not read the links you provided, i would not have thought to check this out and probably would have still been banging my head :wall: .

again, i thank you for your time and your effort in helping me out. :thumbs: