Updates

AussieJohn

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the normal updates called kde as against ones showing up as kde4 ??? I am seeing more of the kde4 ones in updates but have resisted installing them until I can clarify they are really ok and intended for 2007Spring. This is confusing because in trying to install some of the kde updates it calls on many of the kde4 items as dependencies.

I thought that kde4 wasn't going to be used until 2008 or later or is kde4.**.** really something different again.

I imagine others may be wondering as well.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

there's no kde4 packages in the official updates repositories for 2007 Spring. if you have third party repositories, they may be coming from there.

There are kde4 packages in the /contrib/release repository for 2007 Spring. these are experimental snapshots of pre-alpha KDE 4. they install to /opt/kde4 and will not interfere with the regular KDE 3 install at all.

they also don't actually work, which is a bit of a problem ;). I'm currently waiting for KDE 4 in Cooker (which is rather better) to settle down, then I will ask neoclust to backport it to 2007 Spring.

if the packages in question are coming from an official Mandriva source, they should be safe, though they're probably useless. if they're coming from elsewhere, I can't be sure.

Are you referring to packages like this: libkdebase4-konsole-3.5.6-34.1mdv2007.1.i586.rpm?

There are several of them with that sort of numbering.

I can't explain the significance of the "4" in the name, but it looks to me like a KDE 3.5.6 package.

Perhaps Adam W. will clarify.

The KDE4 packages in contrib, I think, carry a version number 3.80

Jim

oh, yes, sorry, I forgot that wrinkle. packages like that - anything with 3.5.6 in the version string - are indeed KDE 3 packages. The reason for the 4 is that that is the 'library major'. Libraries do not always have the same version as the rest of a project / app. Our library naming policy is to name library packages like this:

libfoo(major)-version-release

so if we have foo 3.0 with library major 0, you'd get:

libfoo0-3.0-1mdv

sorry I forgot to mention that. it's just a bit unfortunate that the KDE 3 libraries have the major 4, it can obviously look a bit confusing =)

Thanks Adam. Now I know I can safely install the currently available updates.

Cheers. John.

Have now done so and all works OK. JB

Edited by AussieJohn