Mandriva package requests

AussieJohn

Hello Adam.

Is there any chance of an RPM being made for KFREEFLIGHT ???.

It is a GUI for Flight gear which is now in repeated RPM form in successive Mandriva versions. It seems a great shame that a project as big as Flightgear has no GUI in Mandriva.

I have tried compiling it but because I have no programming skills I have not had any success.

Also is there any chance of APCUPSD and its gui called GAPCMON being included in Mandriva (used for usb monitored UPSs)??. There are rpms on the internet website but it would be nice to have them available in Mandriva.

The programs are excellent in that they are effective and extremely stable and also appear to supply every bit of UPS data that would be available in a Windows enviroment. They are already written for Mandriva so it should be easy to bring them into the Mandriva RPM list.

By the way, I truly love your blog. It is excellent, is now in my Bookmarks and I check it daily.

Cheers. John.

apcupsd is in /main and has been for many years now. I'll take a look at adding gapcmon if I get a moment as it looks pretty straightforward. For kfreeflight it would be better to ask Olivier Blin or Per Oyvind Karlsen, who seem to do most of the work on the flightgear package; I know nothing about flightgear so I'd be packaging blind, which is never a good idea.

You are a champion as usual Adam. Thanks for the gapcmon move. Well done. You were right about the apcupsd of course as I just found on rechecking. This move should save a lot of people a lot of trouble and to any newcomers helps make Mandriva look even more professional. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Regarding kfreeflight as far as I can understand the developers are a german based group and have no real connection with the FlightGear body. The two people you mention are they involved with flightgear for linux maintainers or are they actually flightgear people ???.

I stand corrected, kfreeflight now appears to be French sited but it is also accepted as a kde based program which already has an rpm for suse10.

Thanks again and cheers. John.

aussie: they're the maintainers of the Mandriva flightgear package. That means there's at least a reasonable chance they actually know something about flightgear, which would make them better candidates to package a flightgear GUI than me :)

is the gapcmon package okay? did you try it?

Hello Adam.

Yes GAPCMON appears in contrib backport but not in contrib itself. And it works perfectly. :thumbs:

Could I make a small suggestion that the original name for gapcmon be used. This would then place it immediately next to apcupsd in any menus and people would realize they are associated. At the moment there is no obvious connection and newcomers would miss it.

Thanks also for the Kfreeflight info followup. I will feel confident in approaching one of them now. :D

Thanks Iphitus. Glad to know that someone else from this land is as enthusiastic about FreeFlight as I am. :thumbs:

Mandriva doesn't seem to have fgrun so I will go a google and see if there is an rpm out there.

Cheers. John.

Hello Iphitus. I chased down fgrun but no rpm was around.

Tried to compile it but was unsuccessful so am no better off than I was with Kfreeflight. If I had your vast experience it wouldn't be a problem. Ah well.

I like the Kfreeflight snapshots and it appears to be an easily useable gui but have not found any screenshots for fgrun to make a comparison.

If I have any luck with the two people that AdamW suggested talking to, then I will post results here.

Cheers. John.